Nikki's Reviews > Player Piano

Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

bookshelves: alt-history, fiction, read-in-2008

(written in 2008)
I’m always a fan of Vonnegut. I loved this book. What made it so fascinating (what makes all his books so fascinating actually) was that pieces of it were eerily close to the attitude of the world today. Every once and a while something would be familiar enough to make you think that perhaps this world isn’t so far off. And that is a scary thought. Makes you honestly wonder what mankind is capable of. How much freedom are we willing to give up for security? What are we willing to lose for advancement? Pertinent questions nowadays too.
This ‘future’ may not be a depiction of where we are at, or where we are heading, but there are enough disturbingly similar sentiments to make one wary. Fantastic book. I highly recommend it.
Here is a paragraph amusing to my political science major self. Not spoilery in any way:
And Halyard suddenly realised that just as religion and government had been split into disparate entities centuries before, now, thanks to the machines, politics and government lived side by side, but touched almost nowhere. He stared at President Jonathan Lynn and imagines with horror what the country must have been like when, as today, any damn fool little American boy might grow up to be President, but when the President had had to actually run the country!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Player Piano.

Started Reading
January 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
April 26, 2010 – Shelved
April 26, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction
April 26, 2010 – Shelved as: alt-history
April 26, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2008

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Larason More prescient than Brave New World or 1984, if you leave out the vacuum tubes. His women reminded me of how awful it was to be female in the fifties.

message 2: by Nitaa (new)

Nitaa Mi'Shon Can you please help me on questions with this book ??

message 3: by Nitaa (new)

Nitaa Mi'Shon Can you please help me on questions with this book ??

message 4: by John (new)

John Have you revisited your review since the 2016 presidential election? I'm just reading the book now and I've got to say that dystopian​ literature is taking on a new relevance.