Sugar and Spice Book Reviews's Reviews > Lock & Key

Lock & Key by Cat Porter

5+ Stars
I'd give it more, if I could.

This book was like savoring a piece of milk chocolate melting in your mouth!

I haven't read many MC books. But, after reading this one, I'm hooked and ready for more rides on the back of a motorcycle. The way Ms. Porter unfolded this story with a mix of dedication to family, either by blood or not, the angst, the violence, the not wanting to feel alive again after having lost your heart, to rays of hope and maybe feeling again. I could go on & on. It's gritty, tough, sweet, sexy and hot with some sadness thrown in.

At the age of 42, I had enough baggage to charter my own cargo plane. ~ Grace

Grace aka Little Sister, has to return to South Dakota after being gone for 15 years. Her sister needs her and it's the last thing she wants to do. It puts her too close to the life she had with One Eyed Jacks. She's a strong and fearless woman after all that she has been through and she'll have you holding on tight to relive those times that made her the woman she is today, as well as some unexpected and new adventures.

"I took in a breath, and my gaze shot up at Miller. His eyes were softer this time, like dark pools of full-flavored coffee. There was something calming to me about his gaze like the calm that suddenly comes after a violent storm. Or was that before the storm?" ~ Grace

Miller aka Lock, is an Army vet and the younger, half-brother of Wreck. Wreck was an important part in Grace's life growing up and a member of OEJs. Lock was young when he was rescued by his brother and was introduced to the life and members of his brother's MC. These two main characters, Grace and Lock, vaguely remember those earlier times in which they were in each other's company. But now, he's all grown up and things don't seem to click right away for these two. The looking back to times long gone while weaving in the present was so well constructed. This story didn't seem choppy or broken up. It flowed so easily and helped me understand what was going on in the present. I experienced many different kinds of emotions coursing through me as I flipped the pages. I was all over the place...splattered like an egg that you have dropped on the floor. But then, after the mess is all cleaned up, things looked a little brighter.

"Everything unlocks with you, Grace. Anything good suddenly fits. You're my key. I found you, and I'm not letting you go. Not ever."
"I've waited too long for you." ~ Lock

I just cannot seem to do this review justice because I'm still in the "Wow" "OMG" stage of how much pleasure I got reading it. This is a book that I am putting in my Top Reads of 2014. I'm simply in awe of this author, her writing style, and the characters she created for Lock & Key that seemed so real to me. And the way the scenery is described, I could almost picture seeing it in person. I will definitely be on the look out for more from Cat Porter.

Reviewed by Jessie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock & Key.

Finished Reading