Mainon's Reviews > Jesus Land: A Memoir

Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

Apr 25, 2010

bookshelves: library, nonfiction
Read from June 27 to 28, 2010

This started just a little slow for me, but within a couple of chapters, I was riveted. The book is very well-written, with a steady, honest voice -- so honest, in fact, that it was like having a new friend open up to you about her terrible, tragic-in-some-ways-but-funny-in-others childhood.

I highly recommend sitting down with this book and a few glasses of wine on an evening when you've got a few free hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Land.

message 1: by Marci (new)

Marci Mainon, this is an extremely powerful book; I immediately sent it up to my neice, and then googled the school, as well as going on to the author's web page...it still haunts me.

Mainon Yes, I can only imagine how close to home this book is going to hit in some ways. But my local library doesn't have a copy so I'm going to have to dedicate some time to hunting it down. Thanks for confirming that it's worth reading, though. :)

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb Cutler Mainon and Marci,
This sounds interesting-is it available on audio?

message 4: by Marci (new)

Marci Hmmmm. I am not sure! I would check with the library; if NOT...I have a paper copy if you are interested... it's horrifying, particularly since its true... I did go on the site to the school, and to the authors' web site... it's an excellent book; well worth reading in any venue you can get it!!!

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb Cutler Marci-can you bring the book on Sunday to Patti's?

message 6: by Marci (new)

Marci I will try...am writing myself a note!