Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Discipleship Essentials: A Guide to Building Your Life in Christ

Discipleship Essentials by Greg Ogden

19232021

Greg Ogden has done a good job with this book. It is for small group study about discipling. It is set up in a similar manner to a Sunday School quarterly, which I think is acceptable since Sunday School would be one of the target markets for the text.

The book itself is slightly oversized. The cover artwork is attractive, the text font is easy to read, and the pages have plenty of white space for a nice aesthetic for the interior. The book lacks an index. This might not be a major issue for small groups, but it is a negative from the scholarly angle. This lack of an index is why I deducted a star; I consider this a major flaw as I am coming from an academic point of view, and I think even small groups could benefit from an index.

25 sections deals with one-on-one and small group discipling: how to be and help others be more like Christ. Memory verses, questions, and short articles, generally 4-5 pages each, combine to create a viable small group study. Ogden has laid out the material in a clear way that is easy to understand. Of course, how the study plays out will vary from group to group, but I think Ogden has achieved his purpose of creating a manual providing a good overview of discipleship and its importance in the Christian life.

This book is highly recommended for small group and one-on-one discipling. This is not the best book for scholarly study on the subject, but it does have some value in this area as the basics of the theme are well-covered and technical terms explained. Overall, Ogden has written a worthy book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discipleship Essentials.

Finished Reading
July 19, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Abraham Dear Bret James Stewart

Thank you for your review, it's helpful.

Bret James Stewart You're welcome.