Christina (Reading Extensively)'s Reviews > Desires of the Dead

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Apr 25, 2010

bookshelves: read2011, romance, ya

Desires of the Dead lacks the level of suspense of The Body Finder. The killer's identity seems obvious and I didn't find any unexpected plot twists. While there are creepy scenes and Violet is in danger, the missing ingredient is the mystery. What makes this novel still enjoyable is the romance between Jay and Violet. The romantic tension is stronger than ever as Violet and Jay navigate the changes in their relationship. Their friendship has had to weather challenges but now that they are dating it isn't exactly smooth sailing as they figure out how to communicate with each other. I think that was portrayed very well.

Overall I thought this was a good sequel although a bit disappointing when compared to the first book. I liked the introduction of a new character who may have similar abilities to Violet's and I think the series is heading in an interesting direction.While not as good as The Body Finder, Desires of the Dead is still an entertaining paranormal suspense novel and I look forward to reading book three.

Readalikes: The Mark by Jen Nadol, Meridian by Amber Kizer, Deception by Lee Nichols, The Third Eye by Lois Duncan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desires of the Dead.