Denise's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Dec 05, 2007

bookshelves: 2009, books-i-love-so-much-i-bought
Read in May, 2009

You are always worried when someone comes out with a best seller right out of the gate. Maybe it was just a fluke and the second book won't be as good. Not so, if you liked Kite Runner, go ahead and pick this up. Same underlying theme about life in the Middle East but this time written from women's perspective and a perspective from a person who chose to stay behind instead for fleeing.

A book about the strength of women in a place where they are disregarded as human beings. And how to find hope when there is nothing but despair. This book is a keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

message 1: by Joann (new)

Joann Cotelesse Denise, Is this book really good. If so what do you want to swap it for. I have no idea what you read. I am a thriller, mystery person, but I do like a good read that is not in that category once in awhile. Love ME

message 2: by Denise (last edited May 20, 2009 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denise Hi, I would recommend that you start with The Kite Runner first just to see. Not that you need to, to understand what's going on but since 1000 Splendid Suns takes place in the Middle East during war it does have a few graphic parts with killings and violence. It's relevant to the story and I don't regret reading it but I would hate to have you feel differently. Kite Runner has less and I loved it just as much.