Lola 's Reviews > We Were Liars

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

did not like it
bookshelves: contemporary, rich-problems, did-not-connect-with-characters, death, drama, do-not-recommend, boring, forbidden-love, suspense
Recommended for: Don't bother.

description

This is the kind of book that, when I finish reading it, I’m like FINALLY and then throw the book out of the window (in this case not applicable because of digital copy so I'm doing it through a gif.)

But really, what a weird story and an uncomfortable and pretentious atmosphere this We Were Liars book has. It wasn’t long, thank God, but damn it was painful to read. This is my 3rd negative review/read this week and I’m seriously pissed but will try to keep it cool.

I didn’t get
the purpose of this book.
Why were they called
Liars anyway? Okay
they lied but who doesn’t?
Why are they supposed to
be so
special? Because
some of them are rich? So what?
Many people are as well and it
doesn’t make them
interesting/special.

(Did it annoy you? How I just wrote what I wrote? If it did, this is not the book for you.)

It’s like the author wanted to make this story ‘phenomenal’ and so damn poignant and thought that by adding some metaphorical sentences, a different writing style and a heavy recycled subject she would succeed. But she didn’t. At least, not for me. I personally thought it felt very pretentious and TOO MUCH. The pacing is uneven and the story very repetitive. The characters, except maybe for Cady, the MC, are one dimensional and I couldn’t connect with any one of them.

Again with the subject, is it mainly about...rich-wants-to-date-‘poor’-guy-aka-love-of-her-life-but-can-t-because-family? So confusing... but I guess that’s it since THAT started a lot of stuff. The love story, by the way, is so so so dull. This is all because of the hype…

Oh, the hype was there. It.IS.There. But we all know hype lies and loves doing it.

This is not the type of book I usually read because it feels, just by reading the ‘synopsis’ (really? couldn’t this book have at least a normal synopsis?) too sad/dark/eerie for me but, HEY, we all need to step out of our comfort zone from time to time. PLUS, John Green praised this book. He

''Thrilling, beautiful, and blisteringly smart, We Were Liars is utterly unforgettable.
John Green, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Fault in Our Stars''

praised this book. And, since I finished reading The Fault in Our Stars not so long ago and loved it, I thought I’d trust Green’s judgement.

Except, it was boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. The only parts I felt myself enjoying reading are the little ‘stories’ with the king and his 3 daughters.

I really don’t recommend this book. It’s a waste of time because it’s confusing as hell and doesn’t even have a nice/normally written ending.

I wish I could burn it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Liars.

July 18, 2014 – Started Reading
July 18, 2014 – Shelved
July 18, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 304 (304 new)

Lola Lisa wrote: "Fab review, Lola! :D"

Hhahaha, I'm glad you liked it, Lisa! :D

☣Lynn☣ Sounds horrible. :(

message 3: by Lola (last edited Jul 18, 2014 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lola ☣Lynn☣ wrote: "Sounds horrible. :("

Yes, unfortunately. :P It was mostly boring/annoying though.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite gif for book disappointments!

Aurelie Oh! I just bought it! Now I'm afraid I won't like it :(

Lola Julie wrote: "My favorite gif for book disappointments!"

Hahaha, yes, it's the best!!

Lola Aurelie wrote: "Oh! I just bought it! Now I'm afraid I won't like it :("

Well...I don't know what to say. XD I hope you'll like it, I guess, Aurelie! xx

Miranda I've never seen a better use of The Silver Linings Playbook gif than this! Great review~~

message 9: by Didi (new)

Didi Lol! Love that gif standing in for a digital copy, hilarious! Better luck on your next read, Lola! :)

Lola Miranda wrote: "I've never seen a better use of The Silver Linings Playbook gif than this! Great review~~"

Ugh just ugh. XD It was such a disappoinment. I'm 'glad' you feel the same (which is a strange thing to say.) Thank you, Miranda!

Lola Didi wrote: "Lol! Love that gif standing in for a digital copy, hilarious! Better luck on your next read, Lola! :)"

Right? :D It's fab (the gif not the book.) The book, I can do horrible things to it. LOL. Thank you, I really need it...xx

message 12: by Savina (new) - added it

Savina M. Oh no D: And I was planning on reading it soon. The writing style sounds awful.

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I HATE books that use that writing style. I don't like books in verse that much either, simply because I can't follow what they're saying for the life of me. I've heard very mixed things about this one, but after reading your review, I'm glad you warned us!!

And you're correct... hype LIES!!!!

Lola Savina wrote: "Oh no D: And I was planning on reading it soon. The writing style sounds awful."

Hmmm, I don't think you'll like the writing style and the writing is kinda important. xd Maybe the story will appeal to you though and make up for it? You can try the first chapters. ^^

Lola Katherine wrote: "I HATE books that use that writing style. I don't like books in verse that much either, simply because I can't follow what they're saying for the life of me. I've heard very mixed things about this..."

''for the life of me'' Hhahhahah. I always enjoy reading your comments, Katherine!! I actually didn't see many 5 stars reviews for this one but A LOT of 2-3 ones. Though I didn't feel like ''ok'' was the right word to describe it. xd You are welcome! :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Lola Kat Stark wrote: "so many extreme mixed reviews on this one. I wonder which I would fall under. either way, sorry you didn't like it and great review Lola :)"

Yup, many mixed reviews. It's a hit or miss. Thanks, Kat! Hope you'll like it though coz I can't wish for someone to not like a book lol. ;)

Marga Boring. Boring. Boring.

message 19: by haley (new)

haley Haha, love the gif :) Sorry this was a disappointment to you, Lola. Awesome review though!

Lola Margarita wrote: "Boring. Boring. Boring.

Yeah. That's about right. The twist at the end, I actually saw it coming! Great review, Lola! Sorry this did not work out for you. :("

I did as well but not at first. Then, when we learned you know what did I suspect it, obviously. Thank you, Margarita, it didn't but I'm glad it wasn't as painful for you. ^^

Lola Haley wrote: "Haha, love the gif :) Sorry this was a disappointment to you, Lola. Awesome review though!"

It's awesome, right? :D Fab. Thanks, Haley, I'm really having an unlucky week. xdd

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Now, i don't feel like reading it . Fab review, Lola!!

Lola Sanae wrote: "Now, i don't feel like reading it . Fab review, Lola!!"

I wish I had been warned lol. XD Thank you!!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Ouch! I was just looking at this the other day and thinking of reading...now I'm not so sure. Kickass review Lola and hope your next read is better! <3

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) That gif! Haha. Awesome review, Lola. I agree with everything.

Natalie Monroe There are some seriously mixed reviews for this. I haven't seen such a dividing line since Divergent. :P

Lola Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Ouch! I was just looking at this the other day and thinking of reading...now I'm not so sure. Kickass review Lola and hope your next read is better! <3"

It does catch another's eyes! Really it does, but hated it lol. Thanks Feifei, I need it!! xdd

Lola Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms) wrote: "That gif! Haha. Awesome review, Lola. I agree with everything."

YES. XD I love that gif. Thanks, Marianne, and I'm glad you do. ^^

Rachel Reads Ravenously Great honest review Lola! Sorry you didn't like it :((

Lola Natalie wrote: "There are some seriously mixed reviews for this. I haven't seen such a dividing line since Divergent. :P"

Yeaah, I really agree, Natalie! And WHAAT?? B-but Divergent is awesome. Just awesome. No debate allowed. Lol. xdd

Lola Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Great honest review Lola! Sorry you didn't like it :(("

Rachel Reads Ravenously Lola wrote: "Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Great honest review Lola! Sorry you didn't like it :(("

Thanks a lot, Rachel! So sorry too, but at least it was not very long so not THAT painful. Well...xdd"

It's ironic, because my library hold on this book came in today. I was looking forward to reading it, but we will see...

Lola Oh lol!! That's such a coincidence! Follow your instincts, Rachel, follow your instincts...^^

message 34: by Kuroi (new)

Kuroi If you want to burn this book, things must be very bad indeed. *pats you on the back*

Lola Krishna *wants to be a black wolf* wrote: "If you want to burn this book, things must be very bad indeed. *pats you on the back*"

Yeah, I don't know, I just have the feeling that burning this book is the right thing to do. xd Thanks for conforting me, it's really appreciated. ^^

(;Missy.Lala;) Woooooow, what a disappointment -_-

message 37: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Excellent review, Lola! I was so thinking of reading this but after your review and taking a peek at it in a bookshop, I'm thinking I'll just leave it. Sorry it didn't work for you! xD

message 38: by Smeg (new)

Smeg Haha, hate the disappointing ones. ;) Great review Lola.

Lola (;Lucy wrote: "Woooooow, what a disappointment -_-
I'll gladly help you burn it!!! Just say the words!! ;) I'm telling you what is happening to the book universe!!"

Yes, big disappointment...
I wish I could but I don't (nor will I) have this book in physical copy. :( Just a bad period, don't worry.^^

Lola Trisha wrote: "Excellent review, Lola! I was so thinking of reading this but after your review and taking a peek at it in a bookshop, I'm thinking I'll just leave it. Sorry it didn't work for you! xD"

Thanks! :D It's understandable. I mean, I was foooooled. xd Plus, the cover isn't that cool anyway. There I said it, lol. Thank you, Trisha!

Lola Smeghead wrote: "Haha, hate the disappointing ones. ;) Great review Lola."

Yeeesss, you're always feeling like you lost time when you could have been reading something so so much better. xd Thank you! :D

message 42: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Excellent review, Lola! I was so thinking of reading this but after your review and taking a peek at it in a bookshop, I'm thinking I'll just leave it. Sorry it didn't work for you! ..."

I have to admit, the cover is part of what made me want this. Another thing that's offputting, and I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but it's very expensive here for the length. LOL. xD

Lola Hmm...I didn't even look. How expensive is it?? And, hey, it must be 2-3 dollars more in Canada. o.O

message 44: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "Hmm...I didn't even look. How expensive is it?? And, hey, it must be 2-3 dollars more in Canada. o.O"

It was €10.99 here. Which is about 12/13 USD. I think... :)

Lola That's 16$ Canadian dollars approx. But hardcovers usually are 19-20$ dollars here so they're expensive anyway. I usually buy my books from Amazon, Book Depository or Book Outlet. :P But agree, too much for a book of that lengh.

message 46: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "That's 16$ Canadian dollars approx. But hardcovers usually are 19-20$ dollars here so they're expensive anyway. I usually buy my books from Amazon, Book Depository or Book Outlet. :P But agree, too..."

They only have the paperback here. LOL. It wouldn't have been such a big shock had it been a hardcover. Book Depository sounds really amazing and I do intend to try it out sometime. xD

Lola WHAT?? I see--Ireland.^^ You definitely should try BD. It's cheap + free shipping. Although my fav is Amazon. Weee.

message 48: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Harrington Lola wrote: "WHAT?? I see--Ireland.^^ You definitely should try BD. It's cheap + free shipping. Although my fav is Amazon. Weee."

Yup! See what I mean? The free shipping is the biggest thing for me because Amazon shipping is pretty expensive here. xD

message 49: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Honest review, Lola!

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ So sorry it missed the makr Lola! = /