Philippa Lodge's Reviews > Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride

Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride by Christi Caldwell

liked it

I'm having a hard time assigning a number of stars to this book.

On the one hand, the plot is good.
(They've been betrothed since they were kids. The boy resented it so much he joined the army, where he got messed up mentally and physically in the Napoleonic Wars. When he gets back, he's such a mess and still resentful, that he never bothers to get around to visiting his betrothed, much less carrying through the wedding. Except when they start to get to know each other, they start falling in love.)
The characters are good.
(He's sullen, even after years and years, then he's worried that his PTSD will hurt her and he thinks he's crazy. She's gone from little girl fascinated by this prince of a man, to an unrealistic young lady, to finally understanding him.)

And yet....
Well, the book could have ended halfway through, but the author thought it wasn't long enough, so tossed in the same old roadblocks, but higher this time.
I felt that the hero was awfully immature for an awful long time. It's not like his was the only arranged marriage ever. He wasn't stuck with a total dud (Made me think of Eloisa Jame's The Duke is Mine.)

Worst of all...
The author uses some old-fashioned and big words to give the flavor of the Regency period.... and uses some of them wrong. MAKES ME CRAZY. For example, "Erstwhile" means former, not... assiduous or ardent or whatever she tried to make it mean.

So 4 for characters, 4 for plot, and 2 because I was irritated. Maybe 3.5? The 4s outweigh the 2... Oh heck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride.

Started Reading