Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Apr 25, 2010

bookshelves: all-fiction, four-star-fiction, science-fiction, young-adult-books
Read in April, 2010

I was a little creeped out when I first started reading this story. In fact, I almost didn't continue. It seemed like some kind of freaky propaganda for a fundamentalist society where everyone obeys without question and acts all fake nicey-nice and pretends everything is fine when it's not. I kept reading just to find out why the book is so popular. I really liked it once I found out what was going on. It's the opposite of what I thought at first. Conformity and uniformity are traps that rob us of life's riches. Jonas shows the courage it takes to step out of society's box of expectations and reach for something finer. For those who do, it's usually a lonely path.

I'm very glad I didn't read any of the "anal"ytical reviews here until after I'd read the book. It's a young adult book, for crying out loud! These people who pick it apart and assign it all kinds of evil intent and religious meaning really should not read fiction---especially not teen fiction. Yeah, I could have picked it apart too, but my junior high self would not have done so, and I tried to read it in that spirit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

message 1: by Charisse (new) - added it

Charisse Jeanette - Jack had to read this last year in 6th grade. He loved it and got a lot out of it. It was really interesting to listen to my then 12 yr old pull apart the story.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" As I was reading it I tried to put my mind back to when I was that age. The things I focused on would have been so different. Back then, story was EVERYTHING for me, and I didn't care much about anything else like "deeper meaning." I would have been imagining myself as one of the characters.

Krystle Hubbard I was creeped out at the beginning aswell especially when he had the dream about washing the lady

message 4: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne I was wrapt when I picked up a box of books to cover for my daughters high school library. This was on the top. My husband couldn't quite get why I was excited ;)