Karl’s review of Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy, #1) > Likes and Comments

83 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bookwyrm (new)

Bookwyrm What did you make of this? I absolutely loved the first half/two thirds, the final bit was good but didn't live up to the build up. I'll read the second one soon, looks like it goes off at a tangent.


message 2: by Karl (new)

Karl I had no problem with the ending part of the book. I believe it's part of the set up for book 2.


message 3: by Bookwyrm (new)

Bookwyrm I didn't have a problem with the ending at all, I'm happy for there to be no explanation and resolution. I just felt the "sighting" didn't quite live up to the build up.


message 4: by Karl (new)

Karl Dewi wrote: "I didn't have a problem with the ending at all, I'm happy for there to be no explanation and resolution. I just felt the "sighting" didn't quite live up to the build up."

There was so much mental manipulation going on with all the characters that there ability to report things had been questionable to me from the beginning of the story, Was it hallucination or mind control or hypnosis or suggestion. So much was unclear as to what "really" was going on. I think book two may shed some light on some of the events that occurred.


message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael After reading your comments I think I will not get the book, I love VanderMeer but wow this looks like it is so boring, thanks all for the reviews!


message 6: by Karl (new)

Karl Pam wrote: "After reading your comments I think I will not get the book, I love VanderMeer but wow this looks like it is so boring, thanks all for the reviews!"

-- There are lots of books out there to temp your reading whims, if I gave the impression that this book was boring, I need to seek guidance in the selection of adjectives and to choose my words better, cus that is one word I would not use to describe this book. --


message 7: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I thought this book was amazing. Great review.


message 8: by Ill (new)

Ill D Aliens are real.


message 9: by William (new)

William Movie:
The New Yorker's review of the movie

very disappointing, sadly. It's released here in London next week. Have any of you seen it yet?


message 10: by Karl (new)

Karl William wrote: "Movie:
The New Yorker's review of the movie

very disappointing, sadly. It's released here in London next week. Have any of you seen it yet?"


-- Have Not seen the movie however did enjoy the first book in the series. I would take "The New Yorkers" opinion with a bit of caution, after all, it's "The New Yorker". --


message 11: by William (new)

William I love The New Yorker, and it's an educated, careful and considered review. I just hope they're wrong.


message 12: by Karl (new)

Karl William wrote: "I love The New Yorker, and it's an educated, careful and considered review. I just hope they're wrong."

-- Sadly over the years I have gotten the impression that "the New Yorker" has a tendency to 'look down' on genre topics. They do tend to have funny cartoons sometimes .. my wife subscribes, --


message 13: by MeaganCM (new)

MeaganCM Great review! I didn't enjoy this book so much. It was good, but not great. I really enjoyed Borne and expected to love this but....it just didn't do it for me. I have the second book and plan to read it soon. Maybe this book will be better. I really want to see the movie. My co-worker saw it and it sounds like it is vastly different from the book.


message 14: by Karl (new)

Karl Meagan wrote: "Great review! I didn't enjoy this book so much. It was good, but not great. I really enjoyed Borne and expected to love this but....it just didn't do it for me. I have the second book and plan to r..."

-- Most movies based on books don't follow the book as a matter of movies are usually made by committee, and the books are single creator. I personally don't even try to compare them any more because they are aimed at different audiences and different senses. A good book will create a good movie in your individual mind. --


message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth I thought the audio book was somewhat boring.


message 16: by Karl (new)

Karl Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --


message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Karl wrote: "Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --"


Carolyn McCormick I think??


message 18: by Karl (new)

Karl Beth wrote: "Karl wrote: "Beth wrote: "I thought the audio book was somewhat boring."

-- Who was the narrator ? --"

Carolyn McCormick I think??"


-- Does she read the book or is it dramatized ? --


message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Just read it.


back to top