Alejandro’s review of Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) > Likes and Comments

501 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Brendon (new)

Brendon Schrodinger Thanks for your truthful and alternate view on this book Alejandro. I'm still going to read it, but I may wait until all three books are available.


message 2: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Brendon wrote: "Thanks for your truthful and alternate view on this book Alejandro. I'm still going to read it, but I may wait until all three books are available."

Maybe it's the wisest option, in that way you will have all the answers :)


message 3: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Louisa wrote: "I freaking LOVE your review! What you said pretty much sums up what I felt about this book. Very disappointing because I was so looking forward to getting into the trilogy. I only made it through h..."

Thanks, Louisa :) Realizing that I am not the only one who didn't enjoy this popular book on the reading community makes me feel better.


message 4: by Brendon (new)

Brendon Schrodinger It does sound like from all the reviews that there is an unreliable narrator, which would annoy me. So I think I may only be able to handle it if I had the whole story there.


message 5: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Brendon wrote: "It does sound like from all the reviews that there is an unreliable narrator, which would annoy me. So I think I may only be able to handle it if I had the whole story there."

Certainly I think that's the best angle to be able to enjoy the story.


message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Well isn't it the most important thing to share our own personal experience as honest as possible? I think the reading experience and perspective also depends on how we identify ourselves with that book!!! thanks for sharing your very personal appreciation of this one...Great review Alejandro. :)


message 7: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira Louisa wrote: "I freaking LOVE your review! What you said pretty much sums up what I felt about this book. Very disappointing because I was so looking forward to getting into the trilogy. I only made it through h..."

Thank you, Louise and Alejandro, for your honest opinions.


message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Alejandro, Thank you so much for this great review. I can always count on your honesty.


message 9: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Maria wrote: "Well isn't it the most important thing to share our own personal experience as honest as possible? I think the reading experience and perspective also depends on how we identify ourselves with that..."

Yes, indeed the reading experience of any book is due to several factors and after all it was a book that I wanted to read and I think it would be worse to remain without knowing what was like reading it. I think to read the remain of the trilogy but maybe the wisest move (at least for me) will be to wait until the third book would be published and then being able to get the whole story.


message 10: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ivonne wrote: "Louisa wrote: "I freaking LOVE your review! What you said pretty much sums up what I felt about this book. Very disappointing because I was so looking forward to getting into the trilogy. I only ma..."

Thank you Ivonne. Still I am interested to read the other two books but I will wait until the trilogy would be complete most likely.


message 11: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Wendy wrote: "Alejandro, Thank you so much for this great review. I can always count on your honesty."

Thank you Wendy :) I never want to hurt any feelings of an author or readers. I always try to express my honest opinion but in the best possible way.


message 12: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Well Alejandro I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience with this book that I did, but if we all liked the same things I can't even imagine how boring the world would be. I've read most of Vandermeer's work and all of it is as you said is more akin to "weird fiction" than science fiction. I just received book two and I am looking forward to seeing where Jeff is going with this trilogy. Interesting enough I think this is an attempt to bring his work to a more main stream audience instead of just us weirdos that have been following his work as it appeared from small publishers. Loved the honest assessment Alejandro!


message 13: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Jeffrey wrote: "Well Alejandro I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience with this book that I did, but if we all liked the same things I can't even imagine how boring the world would be. I've read most of Van..."

Hi, Jeffrey. I appreciate the comments. Indeed I never intended to affect the work of VanderMeer and this book in particular. I just need to express my honest reading experience with it, that never intended to be a bad one. Definitely I want to read more work of VanderMeer in the future to have a wider appreciation about it. And I will read the next books of the trilogy, I just think that it would be better for me to wait until the whole trilogy would be published.


message 14: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Alejandro wrote: "Jeffrey wrote: "Well Alejandro I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience with this book that I did, but if we all liked the same things I can't even imagine how boring the world would be. I've ..."

I think the third one comes out in September. I'm not sure he didn't slightly warp my brain with the first book of his I read so that might account for why his work make sense to me now. Veniss Underground


message 15: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Jeffrey wrote: "Alejandro wrote: "Jeffrey wrote: "Well Alejandro I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience with this book that I did, but if we all liked the same things I can't even imagine how boring the wor..."

Yes, I notice that I don't have to wait much to complete the trilogy so, I think that in the hope to rate better the other two books I can wait some months.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation of that other book of VanderMeer :) Definitely I will fit it in my TBR list to read it asap.


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Alejandro, I have not read this book, but I greatly admire your honesty in writing your review. I want to encourage you to always keep it real and honest like you did here. I recently felt awkward when I reviewed Camus' The Stranger, which left me feeling a little desolate. Despite it being such a popular book, I wanted to be honest as well, so I understand a little bit of your dilemma here.


message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy Oh, shoot, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book as much as I did, but as Jeffrey said, differences in experience and opinion make the world a more interesting place! It sounds as though you don't much care for unreliable narrators, and they can be a little frustrating because you just don't know what is real and what is in their head. Well, I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what you think of the rest of the trilogy come winter! Very well-written critical review!


message 18: by Ceylan (new)

Ceylan totally agree with your review and rating...


message 19: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Steve Sckenda wrote: "Alejandro, I have not read this book, but I greatly admire your honesty in writing your review. I want to encourage you to always keep it real and honest like you did here. I recently felt awkward..."

Thank you, Steve. Yes, I never feel pleased to give a low rating to any book, but I feel that I am obliged to be honest with myself and the review, but always with manners explaining why I didn't enjoy the book but without making any hate rant since it's not the case. Thanks!


message 20: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Katy wrote: "Oh, shoot, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this book as much as I did, but as Jeffrey said, differences in experience and opinion make the world a more interesting place! It sounds as though you don't m..."

Hi, Katy! I am sorry too that I didn't enjoy the novel, I wasn't looking for that, so I did my best to explain why I didn't like it without confusing it with a "hate rant" since it wasn't the case. Indeed I want to read the other two parts of the trilogy... I need to know what the heck is happens! Hehehe ;) And I will try too another book of the author.


message 21: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ceylan wrote: "totally agree with your review and rating..."

Thanks!


message 22: by David (new)

David Berger I agree as well.


message 23: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro David wrote: "I agree as well."

Cool :)


message 24: by Brad (new)

Brad Dancer Review the book on your own terms, you don't have to balance anything. Why would other reviews matter? Makes your review seem less honest if you are worried about everyone else's scores. I don't enjoy giving it a '2'? Give it the score you want, who cares?


message 25: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Brad wrote: "Review the book on your own terms, you don't have to balance anything. Why would other reviews matter? Makes your review seem less honest if you are worried about everyone else's scores. I don't..."

Thanks, Brad! I appreciate your comment! :)


message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski I strongly suggest you read 'Authority' because while it's about as obtuse as this one it begins to unravel the mystery to a point.

I suspect the key to Area X will be the hints of 'things being normal when you look at them and changing back when you look away..'


message 27: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ed wrote: "I strongly suggest you read 'Authority' because while it's about as obtuse as this one it begins to unravel the mystery to a point.

I suspect the key to Area X will be the hints of 'things being n..."


Hi, Ed. Thanks for the recommendation, definitely I will read the other two books of the trilogy. I just will wait until the third book would be published too.


message 28: by Ramon (new)

Ramon Just finished this book and upset that I let it consume my weekend. If there was a hidden meaning hidden in the text I clearly did not discover it.


message 29: by Alejandro (last edited Jun 15, 2014 03:13PM) (new)

Alejandro Ramon wrote: "Just finished this book and upset that I let it consume my weekend. If there was a hidden meaning hidden in the text I clearly did not discover it."

I ended with a kinda similar feeling if there was somerhing that I missed.


message 30: by Darren (last edited Jul 28, 2014 09:16AM) (new)

Darren Dead on man... I just finished the second book in the trilogy and I am still grasping at WTF is the point of this. Seems weird to be weird with no cohesive direction. I was torn in spots because I really liked some of the authors use of words to set a scene but a nice scene by itself does not a novel make. At one point I just decided well the focus must be on the relationships but now those were pointless as well..

And not to be snarky, but if your best description of what is going on is "the brightness" you need to re-evaluate your story line.


message 31: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Darren wrote: "Dead on man... I just finished the second book in the trilogy and I am still grasping at WTF is the point of this. Seems weird to be weird with no cohesive direction. I was torn in spots because I ..."

Hi, Warren. Geez! So, luckily I am waiting until the third book to re-engage the series since due your comments it looks that the second book doesn't help a bit to get to understand what the heck is trying the author to construct and/or say to the reader :(

If you read the third book before me (what I think it will be most likely) definitely I will want to read your review about it.

Thanks a lot for your comments here.


message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Turner An excellent review, Alejandro. You should always rate a book on your own reading experience, whether or not it effects the overall rating. For myself I'm interested in all reviews, good or bad, but that doesn't determine if I'll read the book or not. Each reader is different. I have loved books that others gave low ratings to and disliked books others have loved. That's the wonderful thing about Goodreads, the many different people that are members here. We get to share the good and the bad :)


message 33: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Ditto for what Ruth just posted. Every individual reader is different. I've seen physical "desolation" more times in my life than anyone would wont, and in my eyes and perception, the only change it has inspired in me, is to get away from it as quickly as possible. LOL! If that's change? Well I see no beauty in desolation, not even in ruins.


message 34: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ruth wrote: "An excellent review, Alejandro. You should always rate a book on your own reading experience, whether or not it effects the overall rating. For myself I'm interested in all reviews, good or bad, bu..."

I couldn't say it in a better way, Ruth! :D

Great comments!!!


message 35: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Jeanette wrote: "Ditto for what Ruth just posted. Every individual reader is different. I've seen physical "desolation" more times in my life than anyone would wont, and in my eyes and perception, the only change i..."

That's right Jeannette ;)


message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Alejandro, I saw this book is on sale today for $2 or $3 but after I looked at your rating I decided not to spend that little bit on it. :)


message 37: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Wendy wrote: "Alejandro, I saw this book is on sale today for $2 or $3 but after I looked at your rating I decided not to spend that little bit on it. :)"

No two people read the same book, I can't guarantee that you weren't able to enjoy this novel, but since it has so many mixed reviews so far, maybe it's a safest bet not to buy if you aren't totally sure of reading it ;)


message 38: by Wendy (new)

Wendy There is so many books that I really want to read that I'm skipping this one. :)


message 39: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Wendy wrote: "There is so many books that I really want to read that I'm skipping this one. :)"

Fair enough ;)


message 40: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy this, Alejandro!


message 41: by Pat (new)

Pat Buchanan I agree. In fact I just posted my review of the book and then wanted to see what others thought of it and ran across this. I felt very similar and the way I worded it was "too much storytelling but not enough story". Nothing was ever really answered. I do, however applaud your goal to read the other 2 in the series, but I'm not that brave. Too many other killer books out there I'd be missing out on. Now on to some deep SciFi. Thanks man.


message 42: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Pat wrote: "I agree. In fact I just posted my review of the book and then wanted to see what others thought of it and ran across this. I felt very similar and the way I worded it was "too much storytelling b..."

Thanks, Pat. I am not in any hurry to read the other two books, hehehe ;) But, I think that eventually, I may give them a try.

Thanks a lot for your feedback here.


message 43: by Karl (new)

Karl Sorry to see you did not enjoy the book.


message 44: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Karl wrote: "Sorry to see you did not enjoy the book."

Sadly no, but I am still willing to try the other two in the trilogy. To be honest, I have no immediate plans of engaging them, but hardly I dropped the ball on this series.


message 45: by Mona (new)

Mona I kind of agree with your review. I gave it three stars, because I sort of enjoyed it and it was well written, but I also found it exceedingly frustrating.


message 46: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Mona wrote: "I kind of agree with your review. I gave it three stars, because I sort of enjoyed it and it was well written, but I also found it exceedingly frustrating."

Thanks for your feedback, Mona.

Sorry that I reply until now, but I hadn't notice your post until now. Yes, it's indeed a hard-to-review book.


message 47: by Chloe (new)

Chloe I'm liking your review, because, while I LOVE the book, I really appreciate your openmindedness, your honesty, and the mature perspective that just because a person does not like a book, that doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. It might just be the wrong book for that person.


message 48: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira I've been meaning to thank you, Alejandro. Life's so short that I appreciate when you warn me away from a book; this book never looked like my cup of tea, but, had you recommended it, I would have taken a chance on it.

Might I recommend a nonfiction book for you along these same lines? Try The World Without Us, which I got on Audible. My husband and I both adored it.


message 49: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Chloe wrote: "I'm liking your review, because, while I LOVE the book, I really appreciate your openmindedness, your honesty, and the mature perspective that just because a person does not like a book, that doesn..."

Hi, Chloe! Thanks to you for your very kind feedback. Indeed, no two people read the same book, and if one didn't like certain book, it's nobody's fault. Maybe I wasn't the right audience to the book, or I'd read it in the wrong moment.


message 50: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Ivonne wrote: "I've been meaning to thank you, Alejandro. Life's so short that I appreciate when you warn me away from a book; this book never looked like my cup of tea, but, had you recommended it, I would have ..."

Hi, Ivonne! I didn't recommended per se, but no two people read the same book ever. I do hope that if you read, you'd be able to enjoy it a lot! :D


« previous 1 3
back to top