Lyanna’s review of Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) > Likes and Comments

689 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Thats kind of weird haha cause I've been reading it for two weeks. It's really good so far. It's mostly my fault though. Well kinda. Blame Instragram and Youtube and Homework and School. I am really enjoying it so far though! I really like Celaena, though so far she seems a bit too conceived for my tastes? Idk I guess not. I really really love the writing style! Haha I love princes as long as their like really really really charming and yeah asdfghjkl! Reaaaaaaddddd REAAAAD CINDERR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry i just really really love it.)


message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I just finished this and DMED you!!


message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I know! Isn't Celaena so badass! I loved both Dorian and Chaol but I'm not sure which one I like more but all I know is that from what I've read I'd probably be satisfied with whoever Celaena uh.. "chooses"(though that's not the thing I'm most worried about. And anything could happen because its meant to be 6 books...I think?)

I haven't read The Assasins Blade or Crown of Midnight but I really really really need to because I adored the first book. :)

And I heard you love Sam so I'm excited to read about him.


message 4: by Lyanna (new)

Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life) Sophie wrote: "I know! Isn't Celaena so badass! I loved both Dorian and Chaol but I'm not sure which one I like more but all I know is that from what I've read I'd probably be satisfied with whoever Celaena uh.. ..."

you're gonna die bc SAM CORTLAND >>>>


message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Lyanna wrote: "Sophie wrote: "I know! Isn't Celaena so badass! I loved both Dorian and Chaol but I'm not sure which one I like more but all I know is that from what I've read I'd probably be satisfied with whoeve..."

OH NO. Now I'm scared:| but excited!!!!


 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖ Let me just clear this up. People are rating this book low because they do not like Celaena, saying she's "arrogant" or "self-centred" or "over-confident," first of all, if Celaena was a guy, you'd be head-over-heels for her. But she's a girl and now her story is being over-looked because, instead of drowning in self-pity, she decides to stand up, throw her hair over her shoulder and say "screw the world, I'm gonna survive."

OH.MY.GOD. I love you! you're 100% right!


message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim This is thee best series I have read all year!!!! Celaena is freakin badass and I LOVE her!!!!


message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace An author shouldn't have to TELL me over and over and over again how awesome and badass their protag is. Yes, there are a few examples of it actually being shown, but on the whole every description of Celaena (by herself or others) seems like a lot of unfounded bragging.


message 9: by Lyanna (last edited Oct 03, 2014 03:46AM) (new)

Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life) Candace wrote: "An author shouldn't have to TELL me over and over and over again how awesome and badass their protag is. Yes, there are a few examples of it actually being shown, but on the whole every description..."

I guess I might have had a more biased outlook since I read Assassin's Blade before finishing Throne of Glass, and I must tell you, those novellas do Celaena more justice than the first book.

And so does Heir of Fire.

I won't justify Celaena or the series to you, but I do love it, Celaena and all its flaws included; because, somehow, (call me crazy) I have a bizarre connection with Celaena, like she gets me, which is why i'm so protective over her. It'll be different for all of us.


message 10: by Cas (new)

Cas Gabriel It's like you took the words right out of my head.


message 11: by Upetha (new)

Upetha perfect you took the words right out of my head


message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia thank you so much for making this just the perfect explanation. And I also admire your use of gifs !!!


message 13: by The Writer's (new)

The Writer's Shelf I love Celaena so far! :) My issue with the story, different than I guess the majority of people you pointed out, is the plot line. So far I've found it boring and dull :/ Odd right? XP


message 14: by Z (new)

Z I LOVE your review. I started reading the book and I'm IN love with it! Celaena is so badass and reading other reviews about how much they hated her was killing me!!! If she was a guy, they would LOVE her! That's why your review was so ON POINT!! Thank you!!!


message 15: by Raroshnaw (new)

Raroshnaw I agreed with what you said, and this book is just breath taker, is amazing journey we take while running with her, this book is way to intense and marvelous, just love it and cant get enough of it


message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Thank you for this review! I agree 100%!!!!


message 17: by Biancalekki (new)

Biancalekki Let me just clear things up. People are rating this book low because they don't "like" Celaena, saying she's "arrogant" or "self-centred" or "over-confident," first of all, if Celaena were a guy, you'd be head-over-heels for her. But she's a girl and now her story is being over-looked because, instead of drowning in self-pity, she decides to stand up, throw her hair over her shoulder and say "screw the world, I'm gonna survive."

I absolutly adore that paragraph. Completely right! Great! ^^


message 18: by Biancalekki (new)

Biancalekki Candace wrote: "An author shouldn't have to TELL me over and over and over again how awesome and badass their protag is. Yes, there are a few examples of it actually being shown, but on the whole every description..."



I don´t know. I don´t feel it was so exaggerated. Celaena is certainly cocky and you can like her or not but I think it is realistic enough. After all, she is just seventeen, practically a kid.
It´s true that in this book there isn’t much action and we can´t see the whole potential of Celaena, which you say the characters brag about. But according to what people say I’ll be able to see it in the next parts and sequels.
*(Sorry if my writing isn’t totally right, English is not my first language)


message 19: by Symone (new)

Symone I totally going to read this book now. I wasn't sure after just reading the description but now I'm excited.


message 20: by Maranda (new)

Maranda  @ Melange of Reviews Haha this cracked me up as I often take notes while reading and after a certain passage about Dorian I merely jotted down: Daddy issues.


message 21: by Bo (new)

Bo Love this :)


message 22: by Bo (new)

Bo Love this :)


message 23: by Steph (new)

Steph Good point about the gender thing


message 24: by J. (new)

J. I have to disagree with what you've said about people not liking Celaena's arrogance and self-centeredness because of her gender. The inherent problem is that she is arrogant, and she is self-centred, and although it's been acknowledged by Maas as a flaw, it dominates Celaena's character because she's unwilling to change her arrogance. She's fine with putting others around her down, especially when it serves to shine a light on how amazing and special she is. People with this attitude are poison to be around IRL. They're draining, and leave you feeling awful and harbouring resentment for them long after they've walked out of your life. Now, if she were trying to not be so arrogant, and was actively attempting to be more humble, that would be a flaw. But she does none of those things, and that is what makes her deeply unlikeable -- her constant "better than thou" attitude I can frankly stand in no character, and their gender be damned.


message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather what is the first gif from?


message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna "They're usually so engrossed with whatever they did or whatever they went through, they bury themselves in their past and drown themselves in their own sympathy that it's actually ridiculous. But Celaena isn't like that and she's getting hate for it."
Precisely what makes an unrealistic, unsympathetic character. Why even put your characters through hell when you're not even gonna have it seriously shape and change their views on the world or their behaviour. Celaena's background and past just seemed so arbitrary to me and only included as a means of making her seem more badass as opposed to actually creating a character with depth.


message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily When I was reading it I was thankful that she didnt spend a lot of time on her getting over Endovier.and when it comes between Dorian and Chaol I will pick Chaol every time (though I haven't read the other books in the series).


message 28: by Fan (last edited Jan 06, 2016 05:48PM) (new)

Fan Heather wrote: "what is the first gif from?"

It's from the movie I am Number Four (which totally butchered the book, but was still an enjoyable movie.)


message 29: by Ali (new)

Ali Lekkas I can't wait for the fifth book in the series!! People can make judgements but characters need a starting point to be able to grow through a series or it gets boring. So what is she starts off as arogant, you get to watch as she grows from just a petty assasin to a warrior. I loved reading that with all of the characters in this series. Everyone grows and changes from one book to the next and I fell in love with all of them.


message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Can I ask from where does your first gif come from? lol I wanna watch that..


message 31: by Tanisha (new)

Tanisha Fernandes I just read the first book and started scrolling down the series reviews. Most of the comments talk about how girlie the book is. I totally agree with your stance on these comments. Throne of glass shows the issues and struggles that women go through. It shows the strength we obtain that make us stronger. I loved it and can not wait to start the next book.


message 32: by Tori (new)

Tori I completely agree with your first comment ... Celaena is just like Jace or Will from the Cassandra Clare books.


message 33: by Janna (new)

Janna Sala It wasn't the fact that she was a woman. If Celaena were a man, it would be no different and here's why: the author spent more time TELLING us that she was a badass than SHOWING us. Yes, the majority of the story, she had to maintain a cover but that does nothing for us as readers in proving that she truly is the most notorious killers in the world. Characters in anything - books, TV, movies - need to PROVE to their readers/viewers that they have the right to be as cocky as she is being, otherwise the character is just annoying. Celaena didn't earn that right - not even close.


message 34: by Janna (new)

Janna Sala As far as the comparison to Jace and Will, they were supporting characters to Clary's main character. In my opinion, you can get away with cocky supporting main characters without having to prove anything but your main protagonist? That's extremely tough to pull off without forcing your readers follow a pretentious, arrogant a-hole.


message 35: by Xiomara (new)

Xiomara i completely agree with you!


message 36: by gg (new)

gg OMG! You're so right about the gender thing! Gosh. I didn't think about it before and was trying to understand why so many people disliked Celaena, especially when I found her to be a rather refreshing take on a strong female lead. Then I read this review of yours (which is great I might add) and the part about the genders being reversed makes so much sense! There would be a great deal less hate if Celaena had the same attitude but was rather a male character as opposed to female. I think, apart from the few people who genuinely didn't take to the series, that most of the hate is coming from people being hypocritical and stereotypical


message 37: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Omg yaasss, same. She is so bad ass *heart face


message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin Urbanowicz omg I'm SOOOO glad someone said something about how awesome Celaena is. I don't understand how people hate her, she is an amazing, well-developed, complex, FEMALE character (finally!) and I adore her for it.


message 39: by MJ (new)

MJ I must say, this review has made me decide to give this book a try. It's forever been on my list of eventual reads due to it being in my genre of preferred books but hearing all the hate on Celaena made me never try. I figured if the main character couldn't get a following, then it'd be a waste of my time. But your description of her is how I wish for all heroines in any book I read to be. I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to reading this. Which I am doing. Right this moment. Chapter 1. Thanks!


message 40: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra Rao It was good to read a positive review after so many negatives... And I personally feel that this was a nice plot... But I somewhere did miss celeana in heir of fire though...


message 41: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Great review! You're so right about Celaena getting hate for being a girl! I'm trying not to read people criticising her because I'm afraid I'll start seeing her negetive sides - because girls are never allowed to be strong and awesome like that! But before I read any criticism of her, I thought it was awesome! So thank you :)


message 42: by Flubbycott (new)

Flubbycott Somehow I don't believe people dislike her because she's a girl. People dislike her because she's a genuinely shit character. An irritating mary sue.


message 43: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Okay so I just read this review and it's amazing! I hate reading all the horrible reviews for this book because it is like my all time favorite and Celeana is the best character ever-she's so real and relatable with all her faults!


message 44: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Woods No... just no. I rated it low because it sucked. She was supposed to be a badass, and she was a little bitch. She only cared about guys wanting her, her dresses, and she kept saying she was ALL that but didn't show it AT ALL. IDC guy or girl, if this was a guy only caring about clothes and women liking him and IM SO BADASS but I don't notice when others walk into the room and eat candy that I have no idea where it came from! NO.. just no.


I wish I was Feyre Oh my god preach! Finally someone who rated this book well and explained their reasonings! I can definitely say that this book has its faults, but the series as a whole is AMAZING! Heir of Fire is my favorite book because of all the character development and also (and I'm not at all sorry for this) ROWAN! I just... Oh my god rowan. (This is kind of a spoiler but not really dont worry) so what I love about Heir of Fire is that its not just "Celaena" trying to scramble out of the pit she's fallen into, its Rowan too. His past is actually horrible and "Celaena" helps him grow past the broodyness that he's been keeping up for so long. Also I'm only talking about that book so much because you said you were reading it and its my favorite😂😂😂 the point is I completely agree with you keep reading trust me ;)


message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Can we get past GIRL POWER! rawr!? If you like this book because of the series and how the rest of the series plays out, fine. But don't claim that people don't like her because she is a girl. Its sounds so whiny, especially when you admit that there are some problems with the book. If a male assassin uttered the phrase - "I hate being told what I can't do. And I hate you most of all!" - I would dislike him too. I just imagined her stomping her foot and crossing her arms before she storms away. The only reason she gets away with that is because she is a girl. I don't know if I have ever read a of main male protagonist who behaves like she does. So no, I would not fall head of heals for a male version of her. It would just increase my confusion over why anyone would like him at all. I have read plenty of strong women on fantasy. The first book I fell in love with (dealing with dragons) at age 9, had a heroine more developed than this one. It's great if you love Celaena, but don't make criticism of her about something it's not. Yelling SEXISM!!!!! at every occasion makes people deaf to the word.


message 47: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor I think the reason that Calaena gets so much hate is because they don't know what she went through before Throne of Glass. I read Assassins Blade first and yeah, Calaena was bitchy, liked luxury and knew how to flaunt those looks! But she had been brought up that way, not allowed to have friends, given lavish gifts and was told her beauty/identity was her greatest weapon ie. Wear a mask. Honed and partially brainwashed into the perfect pawn and weapon.
Allegations against her.
1# Calaena is pampered & spoilt
2# She cares too much about her appearance
3# Bitchy/vindictive
4# Doesn't show that she is a badass asassin
I will explain my explanations for above claims. Calaena knew luxury before Endovier (protégé of King of Assassins)so she has a penchant for it. Said king wants her to flaunt her beauty (did I mention that he is creepy as). Now, without spoilers, I can say that Calaena was broken BEFORE Endovier, and she didn't want this life anymore.
(By the way, she was a bit bitchy, then wasn't, then Endovier )
Conclusion :
A broken, half-hearted assasin who kinda wants to watch the world burn, and kinda wants to show the world that she still burns.


message 48: by Kendra (new)

Kendra I agree exactly with what you said about Celaena!


message 49: by Nova (new)

Nova Artino Me, be like CELAENA ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️CHAOL❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️DORIAN 💘🖤
NEHEMIA ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


message 50: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Finally someone who gets it without complaining about her personalality, so many rude reviews like come on this book is AWESOME! high five person!


« previous 1
back to top