Debbie’s review of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society > Likes and Comments

73 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia They're not unknown, several of them were from Downton Abbey!


message 2: by Rowena (new)

Rowena I just heard there's a movie! I'm half-way through the book so I'll read your review once I'm done:)


message 3: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye i actually was a bit disappointed in the book and oddly liked the movie better


message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda The main male character is from the show Nashville!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister I’ll have to check this out Debbie! Yay for Netflix! 😍


message 6: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Loved the book and the movie, too !


message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Debbie,
I love this book, and as we started to watch the movie, we actually knew just about the whole cast. . . because we watch the BBC almost exclusively. I apologize to American television. . . but you're far too violent for me!
This story seems like one I would reject for its mainstream appeal, but it really, really worked for me.
Thanks for giving it some extra love.


message 8: by Becky (last edited Oct 16, 2018 06:56PM) (new)

Becky I laughed when I read your -unknowns comment lol
Downton, Nashville, Game of Thrones ....But I loved your review!!


Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I put this book down years ago and haven’t picked it back up, Debbie! I’ll need to read it and then catch that movie! Loved reading your thoughts.


message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson I have Netflix. Thank you for letting us know! I will watch the movie, Debbie. My husband will never watch this with me! Lol! The title alone. You’re so lucky!


message 11: by JanB (new)

JanB Debbie, I read this when it was first released and loved it too! Thanks for the reminder about the movie on Netflix. I'll have to watch it soon and I'm going to make my husband watch it with me 😉


message 12: by Bianca (last edited Oct 17, 2018 05:50PM) (new)

Bianca I haven't read the book but I watched the movie on the big screen and enjoyed it. (Most actors are well known, probably not to Americans though :-) Lily James has been in lots of movies in the past 2-3 years, inc Mamma Mia 2. I quite like her.


message 13: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Saw the movie. Liked it.


message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Silvia wrote: "They're not unknown, several of them were from Downton Abbey!"

Oh, shoot! I should have said unknown TO ME!! Several other comments have addressed this as well. Maybe I should take that comment out of my review!


message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rowena wrote: "I just heard there's a movie! I'm half-way through the book so I'll read your review once I'm done:)"

Don’t worry, my review doesn’t have any spoilers; doesn’t say much of anything, really, lol. I just wrote it to let people know there’s a movie, in case they didn’t know. Hope you’re enjoying the book!


message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Magdelanye wrote: "i actually was a bit disappointed in the book and oddly liked the movie better"

That works then! I wasn’t disappointed in the book, but I can’t remember it! Sure loved the movie.


message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Linda wrote: "The main male character is from the show Nashville!"

Wow, this sent me on a google search! I watched Nashville, so I can’t believe I didn’t recognize the guy! Especially since he’s so gorgeous!


message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "I’ll have to check this out Debbie! Yay for Netflix! 😍"

Lindsay, I love Netflix! Mostly I watch series, but it’s sure fun to run into a good movie! Definitely check this movie out!


message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Angela M wrote: "Loved the book and the movie, too !"

It’s so cool when both the book and the movie are great!


message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Julie wrote: "Debbie,
I love this book, and as we started to watch the movie, we actually knew just about the whole cast. . . because we watch the BBC almost exclusively. I apologize to American television. . . ..."


You’re not the only one who knew the actors; several other people have seen them before, too. I feel like a dummy! Yeah, we do have lots of violent TV here in the U.S., true. I forget—are you Canadian? I thought it was going to be too soapy—was happily surprised.


message 21: by Debbie (last edited Oct 17, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Debbie Becky wrote: "I laughed when I read your -unknowns comment lol
Downton, Nashville, Game of Thrones ....But I loved your review!!"


Thanks. Becky! I know, hiding my head in embarrassment! The actors were known to everyone but me, lol!


message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I put this book down years ago and haven’t picked it back up, Debbie! I’ll need to read it and then catch that movie! Loved reading your thoughts."

Thanks, Jennifer! Yeah, both the book and the movie are winners. Hope you get the chance to read the book and watch the movie!


message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Jennifer wrote: "I have Netflix. Thank you for letting us know! I will watch the movie, Debbie. My husband will never watch this with me! Lol! The title alone. You’re so lucky!"

Seriously, try to nudge him, Jennifer. I had to nudge and tread lightly, and my hubby was kicking and screaming going into it, expressing doubts the whole way. I thought he’d pull the plug in minutes. But no, he was captivated. I would never have thought he’d like it! (And yeah, he hated the title and was sure it would be a chick flick.) Try to catch it, with or without him, lol!


message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie JanB wrote: "Debbie, I read this when it was first released and loved it too! Thanks for the reminder about the movie on Netflix. I'll have to watch it soon and I'm going to make my husband watch it with me 😉"

Thanks, Jan. If you loved the book, you’ll love the movie too. Bet your husband will, too!


message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Bianca wrote: "I haven't read the book but I watched the movie on the big screen and enjoyed it. (Most actors are well known, probably not to Americans though :-) Lily James has been in lots of movies in the past..."

It’s blowing my mind how I didn’t recognize the actors. I loved Lily James in Mama Mia 2 (although I didn’t love the movie). How could I not recognize her!?!? Maybe I’ve developed Face Blindness, lol (which a friend of mine actually has—it’s a real condition). Not sure you can contract it in old age, but you can get everything else, so who knows!


message 26: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hillary wrote: "Saw the movie. Liked it."

It was a good one for sure!


message 27: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Debbie wrote: "Bianca wrote: "I haven't read the book but I watched the movie on the big screen and enjoyed it. (Most actors are well known, probably not to Americans though :-) Lily James has been in lots of mov..."

Oh, well, as long as you enjoyed the movie, that's what matters the most. X


message 28: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Bianca wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Bianca wrote: "I haven't read the book but I watched the movie on the big screen and enjoyed it. (Most actors are well known, probably not to Americans though :-) Lily James has been..."

True! : )


message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie Debbie,
Yes, I had a little giggle at how we were all informing you that we knew the actors. I was thinking that you might have wanted to tell us to stifle ourselves.
No, I'm not Canadian, unless I'm traveling internationally. I always tell people in other countries I'm Canadian. It's so much easier than explaining things.
I live in Boulder and I can't stand how we tolerate so many violent films and movies in the country. I miss nudity.


message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Julie wrote: "Debbie,
Yes, I had a little giggle at how we were all informing you that we knew the actors. I was thinking that you might have wanted to tell us to stifle ourselves.
No, I'm not Canadian, unless I..."


Lol, yes, nudity would be preferable to blood and guts!
Funny, I didn’t get mad at people telling me they all knew the actors. Instead, I just felt dumb! That’s my MO. I need to work on getting a little pissed about things! (For some reason I have no problem getting mad at books!)


message 31: by Cheri (last edited Oct 21, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Cheri Ahem, well nudity might be preferable to blood and guts... but there are definitely some people I really don't ever want to see nude and might prefer some generic blood and guts to... And most of all, thank you for the reminder that this is a Netflix movie! I really need to watch this movie now that I've read the book! (You really should watch Downton Abby!)


message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Potato peel pie sounds about as appetising as toenail taramasalata! (I'm guessing it was a 'needs must' wartime meal, using anything that was available).
An entertaining review, Debbie, and by some spooky coincidence, my wife brought the DVD home (lent by a friend), so I shall watch it later today! : )


message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Cheri wrote: "Ahem, well nudity might be preferable to blood and guts... but there are definitely some people I really don't ever want to see nude and might prefer some generic blood and guts to... And most of a..."

lol, yes, sometimes clothes are a good thing! Yeah, I need to watch Downton Abby. I tend to not watch a lot of stuff in other centuries, but I know this series is excellent so I might give it a go.


message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Kevin wrote: "Potato peel pie sounds about as appetising as toenail taramasalata! (I'm guessing it was a 'needs must' wartime meal, using anything that was available).
An entertaining review, Debbie, and by som..."



Ew, toenail taramasalata sounds AW-ful!!! There are some ugly faces by those eating the potato peel pie, that's for sure. Did you get a chance to watch the movie? That is a wonderful coincidence that your wife just brought home the DVD! Verdict, please!


message 35: by Kevin (last edited Oct 26, 2018 10:00AM) (new)

Kevin Ansbro Debbie wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Potato peel pie sounds about as appetising as toenail taramasalata! (I'm guessing it was a 'needs must' wartime meal, using anything that was available).
An entertaining review, Debb..."


I really enjoyed the movie, Debbie. It was charming, nostalgic and had a heart of gold! : )


message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Kevin wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Potato peel pie sounds about as appetising as toenail taramasalata! (I'm guessing it was a 'needs must' wartime meal, using anything that was available).
An entertaini..."


So glad you liked it, Kevin. It was all of what you said!


back to top