Laura’s review of Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) > Likes and Comments

135 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Zero vi Britannia (last edited Apr 13, 2012 05:23AM) (new)

Zero vi Britannia *Claps hands*
What do you mean "if you're so creative"? Who said she was creative?


message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Zero vi Britannia wrote: "*Claps hands*
What do you me "if you're so creative"? Who said she was creative?"


Your comment seriously made me laugh...and you're right, at least.


message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda I like Cassandra Clare shadowhunters books, but I have to agree I hope Julian have a different personality than Jace or William. Mostly there is going to be a love triangle. I want Clare to do two things
1) don't make the second guy a clear loser to Emma heart. I want him to be potentially with her.
2) don't make him like Simon or Jem. I like these characters but I want him to be different maybe even more aggressive to give him a edge.
P.S. I always root for the underdog.


message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Linda wrote: "I like Cassandra Clare shadowhunters books, but I have to agree I hope Julian have a different personality than Jace or William. Mostly there is going to be a love triangle. I want Clare to do two ..."

I have to agree with you on some parts. It seems as though Cassandra Clare is making all of her characters out of the same molds - as if she only had three cookie cutters.

And although I don't mind Jace/Will-like characters, I do want to see something different.


message 5: by stuti (new)

stuti I'm not going to comment on your predictions, because it's your choice to judge a book before it even come out, but there are other ways for that character to have the same last name as jem.


message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm sure there are - but not to throw out my exsesive memory, but it was stated that Jem had no relatives...no doubt that CC is going to pull out some long-lost cousin just to fill the holes.

And I know I am judging the book before it comes out. But it just seems so predictable that I had to state my opinion on it.

:)


Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets Jones I think agree with Linda, i really want clares characters to be different, i hate it when its so obvious which guy will be choen it just makes the love triangle boring and pointless, so i do wan the 'other' guy to be maybe more bad boy or tough, and by that i do not mean i want her to switch the two character personalities around, i just mean different to the usual nice and reliable verses broody and damaged xxx


message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura BridieJDRAGON wrote: "I think agree with Linda, i really want clares characters to be different, i hate it when its so obvious which guy will be choen it just makes the love triangle boring and pointless, so i do wan th..."

My thoughts excatly. The predictability of her writing just takes from some of the(minimal) fun in reading her books. We read her books because the charcters were somewhat "new". And now, quite frankly, its getting a bit old.


message 9: by Heavens (new)

Heavens Vengence It could have been a different branch of Jems family tree...?
like his grandmothers brothers, aunties, sisters, sons, sons, grandsons, sons, cousins, fathers, brothers, uncles daughter...?
And dont you dare say that bout CC's writing! I love hearing bout the shadowhunter world!


message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Heavens wrote: "It could have been a different branch of Jems family tree...?
like his grandmothers brothers, aunties, sisters, sons, sons, grandsons, sons, cousins, fathers, brothers, uncles daughter...?
And don..."


OH YES I DARE!!! Its just how i feel.

And you may be right sbout Jem,but it was said that he had no morefamily to take him in when his parents were killed *spoilers* also, he. Old have married someone else, but that technically means the same thing i said in my review.


message 11: by Heavens (new)

Heavens Vengence yeh but it could be a really far off relative. Like realy distant in the family tree... (:


message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Now the question is who did Jem have a kid(s) with?


message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Emily wrote: "Now the question is who did Jem have a kid(s) with?"

Probably not Tessa :P


message 14: by Thu Thuy (new)

Thu Thuy "only shadowhunter she is forbidden to love" Hahaha loved that line, too ;)


message 15: by Francine (new)

Francine Gatchalian NO! "Julian" is not sarcastic... He paints.


message 16: by Britt (new)

Britt Near the end of clockwork princess, Jems uncle attempted to give Will the sword i believe Cortana was the name of it. So yes there are other Carstairs men other then little old Jem. They sent him away because they deemed shanghai unsafe but then tried ask him to return but he didn't want to leave his parabatai. It's all in the details. I personally love the references and family ties.


message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Kalebsmommy wrote: "Near the end of clockwork princess, Jems uncle attempted to give Will the sword i believe Cortana was the name of it. So yes there are other Carstairs men other then little old Jem. They sent him a..."

No doubt that this mysterious Emma will somehow inherit this sword. (If my opinion really counts as anything)


message 18: by Britt (new)

Britt Elias Carstiars to be exact. Just in case anyone's excessive memory left that out. ;-)


message 19: by Britt (new)

Britt And I do agree with wanting some diversity in the characters. But aren't the love triangles just so enticing!!!!


message 20: by Despair (new)

Despair Speaking Why do most female lead characters like to fall in love with people they're forbidden to love? Is it like a trend or something? Or is it because it's forbidden that's why they want to try it? If that's so... incest and pedophilia would not be far behind...

Mommeny? I'm scared.


message 21: by Despair (new)

Despair Speaking I meant Mommy. Sorry.


message 22: by Laura (last edited Jun 07, 2013 03:58AM) (new)

Laura Despair wrote: "Why do most female lead characters like to fall in love with people they're forbidden to love? Is it like a trend or something? Or is it because it's forbidden that's why they want to try it? If th..."

MOMMENEY!? I'VE FALLEN IN THE TOILET AGAIN!!!

I do believe that authors - particularly this one - are stuck on the one-track mindset of "forbidden love". I can only assume that there is also going to be a flimsy love triangle, and that it will be as annoying and vaguely stupid as all of the other ones CC has attempted.

And its not going to be there because it will add anything interesting to the story - a love triangle will be there just because it can. Never mind the obvious fact that CC wants to live variously - or at least bases - her lead characters on herself.

The fact that incest was such a large part of TMI kind of disturbs me, while it wasn't a bad plot point (while half-stolen). I'm probably about the hundredth person to say this, but.........THERE WAS A LARGE CHANCE THAT THEY WERE BROTHER AND SISTER AND THEY ONLY KNEW EACH OTHER FOR THREE DAYS AND THOUGHT THEY WERE IN LOVE lbjwserojsegnfm,gsdfgsrtwgbvc

And then they proceeded to make out. Even though they *knew* at the time that they were...wait for it.....SIBLINGS.

Weird stuff, I'm telling you.


message 23: by Despair (new)

Despair Speaking Apparently it's impossible to resist temptation, no matter how disturbing, in young adult fiction.


message 24: by Austin (new)

Austin Ashburn I'm reading CoHF right now and Julian isn't.


message 25: by Addie (new)

Addie Wilkerson Look if y'all don't like her books how about don't read them and put the shut to the up but their people out there who does so if u don't like what she writes then don't read it okay okay but I'm done with people who is trashing her books she is amanzing


message 26: by Ratasreading (new)

Ratasreading Julian is more like Jem man and we haven't had that since the victorian era. I think I kinda want a gentleman who smokes as the main character rather than another sarcastic teen with daddy issues.


Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (Clarisse) as much as i would love the male protagonist to be much like jace and will.... he unfortunately isnt. hes pretty borign and yeh. just a sweet lover boy or some crap like that. basically like Jem


message 28: by Julio (new)

Julio Actually most likely he wont be like Jace or Will because the Julian in CoHF was honest and easily expressed himself even if he was only about 12 at the time. So don't go judging the character and making assumptions.


message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex Wester I don't think Julian is going to be like Jace and Will. I think he will be more like Jem because he seemed very calm in COHF. I think he will be different than the Herondales.


message 30: by Rin (new)

Rin ugh I'm annoyed at Cassandra! I like her books but why the hell are they so effing similar??


message 31: by Kenzi (new)

Kenzi Staley If you think the book well suck then don't read it. But guess what only people who have nothing better to do set around and judge books before the cover is even released would post a review on a book saying how much these book is going to suck. if you don't like her other books then fine post how much you hate them but don't just post a review bashing a book that hasn't even been released. I honestly don't know why people have to post this tip of reviews and bashing Clare. Like saying you hate here OK you can hate her books thats a given when you publish a book BUT has Clare done anything to you to make you hate her? Do you understand what the word hate means? Do you know hate is a vary strong word? Do you know posting stuff bashing her book which i say again has not been released is bullying an author that maybe what your saying hurts her feelings? And finally i have come to my last point of my rant Clare is writing a new series with Holly and has said that she well be writing other series that are not in the shadow hunter world so i don't know where you get the idea that she only writes books in the shadow hunter world. i am sorry to the person who wrote this review you most likely didn't do everything i am saying but this is not meant just for you but for all of the haters.


message 32: by Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets (last edited Sep 18, 2014 07:14AM) (new)

Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets Jones Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (Clarisse) wrote: "as much as i would love the male protagonist to be much like jace and will.... he unfortunately isnt. hes pretty borign and yeh. just a sweet lover boy or some crap like that. basically like Jem"

Jem wasn't a boring character at all, in fact I'd say he's the best male character Clare ever created. He was honest and kind with impressive resilience and inner strength. I think YA needs more characters like him, instead of constant remakes of Will and Jace. Just because your past is crappy, doesn't mean you have to be an arsehole all the time. Jem's character proves that.


message 33: by Ligia (new)

Ligia Ion Julian is going to be like Clary (shy) and Emma is going to be like Jace (sarcastic )


message 34: by Amelia (new)

Amelia West Maybe, you should read the damn book when it comes out before criticizing it a bunch of years before.

An you clearly don't have very good reading skills if you think all of her main guy characters were snarky and witty. Because, Jace was egoistic but closed off, Simon was nerdy and witty, Jem was prim, and a gentlemen. While Will was dark, poetic, mysterious and untrusing.

All of them were very different. Sure some had the same qualities but really.. What two people don't have resembling traits?


message 35: by Amelia (new)

Amelia West Maybe, you should read the damn book when it comes out before criticizing it a bunch of years before.

An you clearly don't have very good reading skills if you think all of her main guy characters were snarky and witty. Because, Jace was egoistic but closed off, Simon was nerdy and witty, Jem was prim, and a gentlemen. While Will was dark, poetic, mysterious and untrusing.

All of them were very different. Sure some had the same qualities but really.. What two people don't have resembling traits?


message 36: by Rita (new)

Rita Margarita In fact, Julian is nothing like Jace or Will. Hell, Jem was nothing like Jace or Will. Predictable love triangles you say? I don't know about you guys, but *SPOILER* I never predicted that Tessa was going to end up with both Jem and Will. And yes, one uses certain adjectives to describe a certain person because the person's looks don't change day by day.


Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (Clarisse) Bridie-No excuses. No apologies. No Regrets wrote: "Sasha Ivashkov-Herondale-Jackson (Clarisse) wrote: "as much as i would love the male protagonist to be much like jace and will.... he unfortunately isnt. hes pretty borign and yeh. just a sweet lov..."

yah after reading City of heavenly fire, i certainly liked him a whole lot better. In real life Jem is a better person, but for entertainment (as what the book provides) Will and Jace were good comic relief.


message 38: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Ruiz Julian is totally different, if you haven't read city of heavently fire then you don't know his character. I think this is going to be different from the rest of the books. Jace and Will are sarcastic and vain because they are Herondales, Julian is a Blackthorn and he totally loves Emma bc is her parabatai .read the last book of TMI to know about this you idiots


message 39: by Rita (new)

Rita Margarita Ligia wrote: "Julian is going to be like Clary (shy) and Emma is going to be like Jace (sarcastic )"
Clary isn't that shy... really. She may seem so in CoB, because she's just found herself surrounded by extremely attractive, tall people.
Emma may be sarcastic but in a different way. While Jace is a smartass, relaxed and takes insults as a joke, Emma is short tempered and gets easily offended.
I didn't mean to souns mean :)


message 40: by Rita (new)

Rita Margarita Oh and, CC has stated that there are no love triangles in TDA.
Also, Despair, to answer your question, protagonists like to fall in love with people they're forbidden to love because otherwise there would not be any problems to analyze and solve thus leading to the book's ending since page 1. Where's the fun in that? About why FEMALE protagonists fall in love with the forbidden person... What can I say? Obviously male protagonists don't fall in love with the forbidden person *heavy irony*.


message 41: by Lana (new)

Lana Love triangles are also a trend:


message 42: by Lana (new)

Lana I really do think that Clare shouldn't have a love triangle in this book. Oh and I also heard that Ty, Julian's autistic lil' bro is gonna have a luv interest too, Ty is my fav character:-) , at least in the the last book in TMI series.


Petra.van.turnhout If you have a problem with it then go write your own best selling book series that has a different plot, that is still somewhat interesting. Then write another best selling series, also with a different plot. seriously get over your issue like, stop complaining. No body cares. Also if you think love triangles are only common in cc books then obviously you need a little but of help. And honestly I sound like a bitch, but I'm a fangirl defending her fandom.....


Petra.van.turnhout If you have a problem with it then go write your own best selling book series that has a different plot, that is still somewhat interesting. Then write another best selling series, also with a different plot. seriously get over your issue like, stop complaining. No body cares. Also if you think love triangles are only common in cc books then obviously you need a little but of help. And honestly I sound like a bitch, but I'm a fangirl defending her fandom.....


message 45: by Kayley (new)

Kayley I'm so sorry, but are you really judging a book before it is even RELEASED? You have no right to criticize a book before you have read it. This really disappoints me, and I hope that you will consider to withhold your future judgements without anything to judge.


message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura Ouch. Not very nice comments to come back to after a couple months of ditching this site.


Is this not a website where people post their opinions? I would understand your anger if I swooped in, all "ZOMG CC IS WRTIN ANOTHER BOOK GO DIE IN AHOLE LOLZ STEPHANI MEYER 4 LYFE".


However, since I proposed my predictions in a timely and professional manner, I see no reason to criticize my opinion.


message 47: by Kayley (new)

Kayley I'm sorry, I just can't see how you could have an opinion on a book title and a back cover description. If you don't enjoy Clare's writing or her "cookie cutter" characters, then don't read the book. It's quite a simple problem. Posting hate about it online is quite useless as I doubt the author cares and will write the book regardless. I do not mean to offend you personally, just stating my opinion about yours.


message 48: by Catharina (new)

Catharina Tottaly agree!! I like like CC's books, her writing is really good most of the time, but I'm really tired about some stuff. It's time for her to do something new with her story/characters/plot. Cmon!


message 49: by Greekgeek (new)

Greekgeek I'm just sayin CC IS BETTER THAN STEPHANIE MEYER!!! But oh well Julian is way nicer than Will im sure but no one is like Jace hes... Different for sure still psycho maybe


message 50: by Pili (new)

Pili Fuck all of you!!!! okay Julian is nothing like jace nothing!!! and will and jace are alike because they are family , fuck you guys


« previous 1
back to top