Sandy’s review of The Chain > Likes and Comments

75 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn I liked this more than you Sandy but I agree it doesn't have the grittiness and brilliance of his Sean McDuffy series and his writing is very different. You're right - it would have been hard to pick him as the writer without knowing that.


message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Carolyn wrote: "I liked this more than you Sandy but I agree it doesn't have the grittiness and brilliance of his Sean McDuffy series and his writing is very different. You're right - it would have been hard to pi..."

Partially my own fault, Carolyn. It's not fair to the author to go in with preconceived notions. But I'll gladly read whatever he comes up with next.


message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Sorry it didn’t work for you, Sandy . Hope your next one is better.


message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Angela M wrote: "Sorry it didn’t work for you, Sandy . Hope your next one is better."

Thanks, Angela. I have poor impulse control in book stores so I'm spoiled for choice 🤓


message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 26, 2019 07:25PM) (new)

Carolyn Sandy wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "I liked this more than you Sandy but I agree it doesn't have the grittiness and brilliance of his Sean McDuffy series and his writing is very different. You're right - it would have..."

I only hope he keeps writing the Sean Duffy series. I know he's considered killing Duffy a couple of times (remember the helicopter crash?) but hasn't yet, so fingers crossed. I love the black humour and quirkiness of those books.


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Carolyn wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "I liked this more than you Sandy but I agree it doesn't have the grittiness and brilliance of his Sean McDuffy series and his writing is very different. You're right -..."

You & me, both! Every book in the series is a great read, smart & hilarious.


Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Sorry you didn't enjoy this one so much, Sandy. It's on my wishlist...😍📚💕 better luck with your next read.


message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review, Sandy. I think I was waiting for a middle of the road review to make up my mind! I usually pay no mind to books I want to read, but this may have been the turning point for me. I have many things to dislike about this. Mostly, everyone liked it. I'm done. I took this off my list. Thank you!


message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Sorry you didn't enjoy this one so much, Sandy. It's on my wishlist...😍📚💕 better luck with your next read."

Thanks, Sandy. The last thing I want to do is deter anyone else from reading it. I hope you love it!


message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Zakky wrote: "My local book shop was posting about this a couple of weeks ago and when I read the blurb, all I could think of was how awful of a book this would be. It is such a terrifyingly evil plot to put in ..."

Definitely a terrifying premise, Zakky.


message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna Fabulous review, Sandy! I've seen lots of buzz about this book and it's on my watch list. I've never read anything by this author but I'm hoping to become a fan.


message 12: by Sandy (last edited Jul 27, 2019 06:53AM) (new)

Sandy Lisa wrote: "Great review, Sandy. I think I was waiting for a middle of the road review to make up my mind! I usually pay no mind to books I want to read, but this may have been the turning point for me. I have..."

Thanks, Lisa. I'm sad I didn't enjoy it more but many have praised it. I think it's best suited for full-on thriller lovers who don't get hung up on credibility. I need to work on that!


message 13: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Sandy, I love his Northern Irish crime series more too, but loved this too although I can totally understand how you feel, wonderful review as usual. I just wanted to say I read your marvellous review of Brack’s A Second Death which prompted me to read it.....I loved it....just so you know how much I rate your opinions! 🖤🥰


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Donna wrote: "Fabulous review, Sandy! I've seen lots of buzz about this book and it's on my watch list. I've never read anything by this author but I'm hoping to become a fan."

Thanks, Donna. They've done a fantastic marketing campaign. Hopefully you'll love it! I think I might be alone in the wilderness on this one but I highly recommend his Sean Duffy series. They're great!


message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Paromjit wrote: "Sandy, I love his Northern Irish crime series more too, but loved this too although I can totally understand how you feel, wonderful review as usual. I just wanted to say I read your marvellous rev..."

Thanks so much, Paromjit! This review was so hard to write because I'm such a fan. Just think of me as the outlier with no imagination ; )
So glad you enjoyed Brack! There's another series that deserves more attention.


message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean Darn! Oh well, you read so many really wonderful books; you're bound to find a dud once in a while, aren't you? Still, sorry you were disappointed.


message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Jean wrote: "Darn! Oh well, you read so many really wonderful books; you're bound to find a dud once in a while, aren't you? Still, sorry you were disappointed."

Absolutely, Jean. I think that's what makes you really appreciate a great read when you find it.


message 18: by Áine (new)

Áine I'm fairly certain most of his existing fans won't like this one. Seems a shame and I really wanted to like it but it just didn't do it for me.


message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Not just me then. Certainly a different style for him, Áine. I think fans have to forget what he's done before & just go in with an open mind 🤷‍♀️


message 20: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Dickerson Exactly how I feel after finishing it. Great review. Thanks.


message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Harriet wrote: "Exactly how I feel after finishing it. Great review. Thanks."

Thank you, Harriet. Maybe just a case of expectations that were too high. Hope you're reading something great!


back to top