Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies’s review of The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1) > Likes and Comments

291 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) I am reading this right now and the whole broodmare thing weirded me out too. :/


message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm not surprised by this review. Tessa Dare seems to only write silly books. I've had to stop reading several of her novels because I couldn't take it anymore.


melack stark: queen in the north Where have you been? You are my favorite reviewer. ;)


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Hermione wrote: "Where have you been? You are my favorite reviewer. ;)"

There has been literally NOTHING good out at all. I have been re-reading old books.


message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Beth I'm only at 10% but it feels like she half-assed it honestly.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Jessica wrote: "I'm only at 10% but it feels like she half-assed it honestly."

I didn't want to put that into the review, but I felt the same. It's like she didn't care anymore


message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Beth Yeah, I was so looking forward to this one because I enjoyed her previous one but . . . I'll be surprised if I end up liking it.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I enjoyed a couple of them previously, so this was a disappointment.


message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Ugh, so bummed because I loved some of her other books :(
I read Romancing the Duke entirely because of your review and I came out of it with zero regrets...at least until I read this review lol


message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Bad rewriting of love stories is such a drag.


message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy "Darcy did it better fam" is one of the best lines I've ever read lol


message 12: by Pavli (new)

Pavli St. The book was meant to be funny, you could see that from the first chapter. Its obvious that it has a modern twist in it. And seriously his servent loved him. The whole time they only wanted him to fall in love with Emma. The whole household was scheming to help them, they were riduculous with their plans and funny as hell. Yes this book sucked BUT only if you want to read a boring, time acurate, drama filled romance. Personaly I loved it! It was something refreshing, all the other regency books are the same, there are just a few diffrent main plot that vary. And after you've read a few of yhem they become really boring. Its obvious that you like a dufferent kind of book, but that is ni reason to say that this one is not good. The writing was great, it was funny, it has a great romantic story, drama, they both had problems that needed to be solvet to love each other. Honestly did you even read the whole book befire saying it was a one star? Even the the way you have explained the examples you have given are all WRONG: when she was thinking "you have no idea..." she was admiring his form, the way he filled out his breaches, for me that was hilarious. Even from the begining Emma says tha there is no way she would say: "all seamstress become nearly blind, hard labour for many years will do that to you and many things, she explains how there would probably never be enybody else ti propose and like it or not it was normal for many many marriges to be ones of convinience and not love ones. I cold probably rant a lot more, there are mane reasons that you are wrong, this book is a FIVE STAR, after I've read more than a thousand books that is something rare for me and its the reason I'm writing this long comment. Heres a patatoe🍟


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Pavli wrote: "The book was meant to be funny, you could see that from the first chapter. Its obvious that it has a modern twist in it. And seriously his servent loved him. The whole time they only wanted him to ..."

Good lord, write your own review.


message 14: by Pavli (new)

Pavli St. Don't be mad just because I speak the truth, but you are right it did become longer longer that I intendet.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies If you had bothered to read my review, you would have seen that I didn't like the humor and I thought it was poorly written. I don't have anything against humor and I really liked her previous books.

Learn to deal gracefully with people whose opinions are different than yours, honey.


message 16: by Pavli (new)

Pavli St. My dear, her other books are just as witty and funny, in the same writing style as this one. You are contradicting yourself. If you had actually paid attention while reading the book you may understant that more than half of your review is simply false. I'm not talking about your opion (you have every right to it) but the many simple facts that you have either twistet, not mentioned entirely or simply ignored. I don't mind it when people's opinion doesn't match mine, there is nothing wrong with that. My previous long comment was about the many wrong facts you've written, nothing else.

P.s if you've really read more than 2000 books then how can you say that it was poorly written, I've come across books where it was hard for me to even understand what the author meant. When you say 'poorly written' people think avout bad grammar not that they don't like the plot of the book.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I can see that there's no arguing with you.


message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary "P.s if you've really read more than 2000 books then how can you say that it was poorly written,"


Oh dear lol


message 19: by Samah.vk (new)

Samah.vk Missed your reviews..


message 20: by Jultri (new)

Jultri Khanh, I don't know what it is about your reviews that attracts responses from crazy fanatics out there, from The Light Between Oceans to HRs, you sure now how to rub people the wrong way. Is it a special talent you're cultivating? I don't always agree with your opinions, but your reviews are always well argued and articulated and above all, quite entertaining! I have been looking forward to this book, so hopefully, this might be another one we might disagree on. To hell with the dissenters I say, and keep those reviews coming.


message 22: by Ursula (new)

Ursula OMG I have this one on pre-order, arriving on my Kindle tomorrow. Will try to not to think of your hilarious review while I read it :)


message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Khanh loved you review!!!


message 24: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 Khanh, even when I disagree with your review, I always enjoy reading it. Sometimes they're more entertaining than the book, LOL! Sorry you have to put up with people determined to be right.


message 25: by Ursula (new)

Ursula I just read the rant from one of your critics. Wow! But I don't reckon you are going to lose much sleep over it- I certainly wouldn't. Keep them reviews coming, Khanh- I love them!! Besides, you call yourself "the Meanie". Your honesty is the best thing about you :)


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Thanks! The trolls are pretty funny, especially when I click on their review and see....nothing. Heehee.


message 27: by Ursula (new)

Ursula Exactly!!!! wtf? I have really loved most of Kleypas' books (yeah, I know, I am a sentimental idiot, and sometimes I am in the mood for that) but was SO disappointed in her latest. And said so. Loyalty is nice, but a review is a personal response that EVERYONE is entitled to make. And "poorly written" is not just about grammar, FFS. It is about style, story arc, metaphors or imagery, characterisation, etc. You know that, I know that, but some people.....


message 28: by Angelyn (new)

Angelyn i agree with you khanh on the review its so true, but i dont agree it deserves a 1-star rating only, i think its passable enough to be entertaining, but definitely its not one of tessa dare's five-star novels.My fav chapter was chapter 1, it has the most engaging and adorable momment between ash&emma and the rest of the novel is a vain attempt to recapture it with a lots of attempts in begetting ash's heir.
i remain tessa dare's fan though im not a fan of this book, there other novels she writes that is just beautifully written.
Have you read a alissa johnson novel khanh? for me she's one of those underated HR author, i would like to hear your review on her books.


message 29: by Karlene (new)

Karlene Barger Loved your candid review. I had been looking forward to this book and grew increasingly disappointed the more I read.


message 30: by Ursula (new)

Ursula I have enjoyed all of Alissa Johnson's books, Angelyn. I agree, underrated, but she does great characterisation and tells a ripping good story, like in the Providence series.


message 31: by Vicky syme (new)

Vicky syme what are you on about


message 32: by Vicky syme (new)

Vicky syme what are you going on about


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Miss V Syme wrote: "what are you going on about"

*points to review*


message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon L Great Review, sorry you didn't enjoy it :)


message 35: by Annette (new)

Annette It pains me to agree bec I am a big fan of Tessa Dare but this is my exact same thought while reading the book. This one is just so ridiculous for a historical romance. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief anymore.


message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Agree on all of this. Really disappointed in such a seasoned writer. And did you notice the frequent ways it seemed like a contemporary instead of a Regency era book? It felt like she had a deadline coming up and rushed this entire storyline.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Yep. It felt like she half assed it.


message 38: by May (new)

May Grider Regency manic pixie dream girl fantasy! I did hate the weird addition of that cat and other arch and pointless cuteness.


message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth You write very passionate reviews. Wow.


Jeffrey Vaynez Jatta Having a man like Duke;he gets married to me for a moment and expects me to kiss ma sorry ass good bye all alone in the dark after spring forth a child bearing his name.Damnnn....he ain't gonna live a sweet life,cause amma make hell his first priority and choice..I ain't droping no ice to cool his brains down...Full of wisdom ,i like it...


Jeffrey Vaynez Jatta cool...love e very character


message 42: by Stella (new)

Stella I agree. While I was reading this book, it felt contemporary. The servants tended to speak far above their station. We all know how different things back then.


message 43: by kookyquinn (new)

kookyquinn I felt like I needed popcorn while I read these comments lol


message 44: by ❀angela (new)

❀angela you don't accept messages so I'm leaving a comment here--thank you for all of your reviews.


Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies ❀angela wrote: "you don't accept messages so I'm leaving a comment here--thank you for all of your reviews."

Thank you :)


message 46: by Funke (new)

Funke The book was splendid for me. Just what i needed, a good laugh and a warm feeling!


message 47: by Plankuton (new)

Plankuton Khanh you seem to crave good romance yet hate all the crapy romance marketed stuff you pick up. Why not look for romance in other genres? At least for me, when the book is not about the romance, the relationship becomes delicious to read.
PS, If you watch K dramas, 'Something in the rain' will give you a good dose of no-bullshit, incredibly sweet romance.


message 48: by Celeste (new)

Celeste I'm planning to read this because it sort of sounds Beauty and the Beast-ish, and I am weak, but somehow I'm thinking the drama here is going to be far more entertaining. =D


message 49: by Maryam (new)

Maryam i liked your comment before i even read it cause this book deserves one star


message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan HOLY CRAP. I am a fan now of your reviews.


« previous 1
back to top