Emily May’s review of What Happened > Likes and Comments

1353 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Stylareads (new)

Stylareads I'm so excited for this as well!


message 2: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Stylareads wrote: "I'm so excited for this as well!"

Should definitely be interesting :)


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell I'm super eager to read this after seeing that excerpt about how she felt during the debate. I'm hoping it will be an honest and open recounting of her experiences that will be inspiring and informative.


message 4: by Anya (new)

Anya I'll be looking forward to your reviews, Nenia and Emily May. I usually don't read "tell all" memoirs because they sound kind of click bait-y but I really want to know things from her perspective.


message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I'm impatiently waiting on my delivery today of this. I'll be looking forward to read your review of it. Also—congratulations on the second baby.


message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I am glad you are reading this and can't wait for your review! Pretty much all the current goodreads reviews are from people who openly say they did not read the book. It will be nice to have a genuine rating.


message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Excited to hear your thoughts!


message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Cognard Also be interesting to see what non american think of book. It was a crazy mess here in the US


message 9: by Niki (new)

Niki Great review. It's next up for me. I am in awe of the fact that she was willing and able to put her head and heart in these pages for all of us to see.


message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Already can't wait to read it


message 11: by Mandiy (new)

Mandiy I'm not a big fan of hers but did vote for her. Lovely review and I may read it now.


message 12: by K-Heart-Books (new)

K-Heart-Books Well written review as always!


message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin Kissel This review certainly puts it in a very different light than other reviews/comments I've seen, even from left-leaning sources. Will have to see about getting it from the library


message 14: by Swaye (new)

Swaye I can't wait to read this book!


message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Good to know it is more about the personal. Saw her review on Rachel Maddow, and it was amazing. Very insightful. Glad that you are giving it five stars, and you've read it.


message 16: by Elias (new)

Elias Hillary should've won. End the Electoral College today.


message 17: by Person113 (new)

Person113 Hey both of you stop being so incorrect.


message 18: by Annesofie (new)

Annesofie Ahmad Ali wrote: "Annesofie wrote: "Hey Ahmad Ali Farooqi, I would tell you to choke on your own dick but it's probably too little for that"

Quit jumping to her defense, I don't even know you. You have ed sheeran a..."

indeed you don't know me. and neither do you know her so don't go around telling her to slit her wrists because you're offended by....by what actually? lol go ahead questioning my age because i like ed sheeran yet you're the one commenting bullshit because she gave a high rating to a book you haven't even read. there is literally nothing for you to be offended about. seems like you're the immature one here.


message 19: by Annesofie (new)

Annesofie i'm sorry you get comments like his simply for your opinion. it shouldn't be happening /:


message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Reese Annesofie he was flagged.


message 21: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Camp I flagged him as well. I am hoping to get to this book soon. It's going to be a hard read given our current climate.


message 22: by Robyn (new)

Robyn I've also flagged him. I have no patience for internet bullies.
I had no intentions of reading this book, but now I'm curious.


message 23: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Annesofie wrote: "i'm sorry you get comments like his simply for your opinion. it shouldn't be happening /:"

It's okay; I blocked him. I figured someone would take issue no matter how tame I kept the review, but I was naively hoping for a little more eloquence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


message 24: by Chanella (new)

Chanella Keza Your review has just reassured me even more that I need to buy this book this week. Thank you Emily.


message 25: by Evan (new)

Evan News flash for those who cling to simplistic dualities and proscribed paradigms of thought and debate: It is possible to criticize BOTH Trump and Hillary as shitty candidates, and even possible for someone, like me, to have voted for Hillary on the notion that consuming a partially rotten piece of meat is relatively safer than consuming a wholly dessicated one (Trump). I give no passes to either of these corrupt humans. My system made sure Bernie got nowhere, despite him being, even now, the most popular politician of our time.


message 26: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Evan wrote: "News flash for those who cling to simplistic dualities and proscribed paradigms of thought and debate: It is possible to criticize BOTH Trump and Hillary as shitty candidates, and even possible for..."

With all due respect, you DO fall into the latter of the two groups I mentioned. You hate Hillary based on sensationalist media stories surrounding the "email scandal", and have already cast her as a villain in your mind. As I was saying, there are only really two groups of people: those who agree with what is said in this book, and those completely unwilling to have their minds changed on the issues.

Bernie had beautiful ideas, but the truth is they would never have worked in reality without an outrageous tax increase and a complete ideological shift in congress.


message 27: by Person113 (new)

Person113 Brooke wrote: "Any opinion on the politically neutral?"

i know you arent asking me but i feel as if nowadays they are the only sensible


message 28: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Hi Brooke. Do you mind my asking what you mean by that?


message 29: by Person113 (last edited Sep 17, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

Person113 Emily May wrote: "Hi Brooke. Do you mind my asking what you mean by that?"

(i interpreted her post as meaning centrists)


message 30: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) Brooke wrote: "@ Person113 & Emily May - I don't mind :) Politically neutral, as in not getting involved in human political affairs. Remaining neutral would include peacefully abstaining from speaking against any..."

I mean, if that's your belief, fine. There are plenty of people who can genuinely be hurt and have their lives affected by politics; the repeal of marriage rights, normalization of violent sexual assault, and systematic disenfranchisement of black people comes to mind. It's why many of us care.

But my guess is Emily was more asking... are you asking whether she'd judge you, or because you dislike that she has political views?


message 31: by Parisienne (new)

Parisienne I voted for Hillary. Many of the factors she cites contributed to her electoral loss. As did many of her own actions. What concerns me now is that she cannot seem to take herself out of the spotlight at a time when the Democratic Party needs to be looking forward, and finding new faces to win state houses, seats in Congress, and the presidency.


message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah It's a bit offensive to assume that everyone either agrees or is so close-minded that they wouldn't read the book. It is possible that there are open-minded, intelligent people, who happen to have a different viewpoint on the book. This sort of "everyone who doesn't agree with me is hateful and/or stupid" thinking is really harming the US. That said, I still love your reviews and really use them to decide what to read. Thank you for writing them.


message 33: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn Nadra Hey Emily! So, I was thinking about reading the book (I initially voted for Bernie and then Hillary, though I was none too fond of both candidates in November) but then I was torn. I know it was probably the media trying to cause turmoil, but the quote from the book about blaming Bernie for Trump's "Crooked Hillary" attack was just nonsense!


message 34: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn Nadra Oops, I wasn't done writing! LoL forgive me, I never comment! But do you think I should be objective and read the book for myself? I see it's not all political and I can understand how devastating it was for her to lose! But like many others, I question the reasons behind her loss... and who was truly at fault, if that makes sense.


message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Not that I read a lot of political memoirs in the first place, but I still have an election hangover so I have no interest in reading this. I kinda agree that I wish she would just disappear and let some new faces shine (and maybe she will now that she's told her story). I was a bigger supporter of Bernie, and I feel the same about him. I would have been more interested in reading about her personal life and views before the election. Maybe it would have helped people to relate better with her. Thanks for the review and sharing some quotes.


message 36: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Sarah wrote: "It's a bit offensive to assume that everyone either agrees or is so close-minded that they wouldn't read the book. It is possible that there are open-minded, intelligent people, who happen to have ..."

I never said that everyone who doesn't agree with me is hateful and/or stupid. I would never say that. What I was saying is that I believe people have already made up their minds one way or the other on the polarizing issue of Hillary Clinton and I would do little to change that by writing an in-depth review.


message 37: by Emily May (last edited Sep 18, 2017 09:13AM) (new)

Emily May JoAnn wrote: "Hey Emily! So, I was thinking about reading the book (I initially voted for Bernie and then Hillary, though I was none too fond of both candidates in November) but then I was torn. I know it was pr..."

I read this whole "she blames Bernie" thing before starting the book and, having finished it, it's pretty ludicrous. She is critical of some of his policies (all with well-explained, perfectly-sound reasons) but she does not blame Bernie for her loss. I would recommend checking it out.


message 38: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Sarah wrote: "Not that I read a lot of political memoirs in the first place, but I still have an election hangover so I have no interest in reading this. I kinda agree that I wish she would just disappear and le..."

She talks a lot about the issues of likability and relatability that always seemed to hang over her. I found it really interesting. Despite being in the public eye for decades and having her personal life torn apart by the media, people kept trying to peer closer, dig inside her skin like she was hiding something. As she says, no other candidate was subjected to this. I, myself, don't know what people were looking for.


message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy My thoughts EXACTLY.


message 40: by hpboy13 (new)

hpboy13 Good review! I'm right there with you.


message 41: by Erika (new)

Erika Long time review follower, first time poster: Thank you. This was the review I didn't know I needed! I just purchased the book and can't wait to dig it.


Olivia--Porcrastinator Extraordinaire Exactly. It was such a redeeming read... Not remotely vindictive like so many other reviews imply. Thank you for your take.


message 43: by Niccole (new)

Niccole Cornaghie Agree with you Sarah. Just because one doesn't agree or align with HRC's views doesn't make someone closed-minded. That is a sweeping statement if I have ever heard one.


message 44: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Great review! I found the Russia section to be particularly enlightening and would urge all Americans to read the book JUST for that.


message 45: by Andi (new)

Andi Nice review, I’m really enjoying her book so far.


message 46: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Niccole wrote: "Agree with you Sarah. Just because one doesn't agree or align with HRC's views doesn't make someone closed-minded. That is a sweeping statement if I have ever heard one."

Sorry, but this really shows how little people actually pay attention. Where did I say anyone was closed-minded?


message 47: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Andi wrote: "Nice review, I’m really enjoying her book so far."

Thank you, Andi :)


message 48: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Sep 22, 2017 10:18AM) (new)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Great review! I really have to get to this one, because I think that as 80% of the outside world, we didn't really understand how Trump of all people ended winning?

In addition to the fake news/email nonsense, I've been feeling less and less patient towards the "both are bad" fuckery. We kinda got the same here in France and it drove me nuts to see people putting on balance entirely different things when comparing candidates. Aren't people not able to make a conscious and tempered choice anymore? I mean, I voted Macron, and he's way too centrist for me. I disagree with plenty of his decisions but when given the choice between him, a far right racist and a very conservative/anti LGBT candidate, I never felt like saying, OMG, let's not choose, they're all awful! WTF? I've never felt so far from my fellow leftists during this election :( I'm not gonna wait for my dream candidate to suddenly appear - and I don't think that candidate exists, tbh. I personally really liked Hollande and I maintain that his physical appearance influenced a lot what people thought of him, but he ended with an approval rating of 10%, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry for the rant *hides* I thought I was past this, apparently no XD


message 49: by Emily May (new)

Emily May Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "I really have to get to this one, because I think that as 80% of the outside world, we didn't really understand how Trump of all people ended winning?

More than the fake news/email nonsense, I've..."


I absolutely agree, Anna. I can definitely understand not liking a candidate (though the level of vitriol towards Clinton does baffle me) but to in any way equate Clinton and Trump is as ludicrous as Trump's declaration that both sides were to blame in response to the Nazi riots. How are people looking at Hillary Clinton and seeing someone as bad as Donald Trump? How is that possible?

It's okay, I could rant about this all day. I'm still pissed that a smart, professional and overqualified woman lost to a racist misogynist.


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Emily May wrote: "Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) wrote: "I really have to get to this one, because I think that as 80% of the outside world, we didn't really understand how Trump of all people ende..."

There is still a lot of sexism entrenched in certain parts of the US. Clinton threatened that, as a strong and assertive woman seeking to be the leader of our country. Whenever people resist changes to the status quo, it is often because they have a stake in things staying how they are. It makes me upset too. I voted for her and desperately wanted her to win.

Btw I loved your review and am so glad that you appear to have pushed more people to read this book. 😊


« previous 1 3
back to top