Matthew’s review of American Gods > Likes and Comments

402 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Reanna (new)

Reanna I abandoned this one earlier and don't think I'll honestly revisit it.


message 2: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny You might receive some complaints about insulting a popular (which is not always equal to good) author. I did for giving a low rating to a China Mieville book. Me bad!!! No candies.


message 3: by Sh3lly (new)

Sh3lly I dnf'd this! I got about halfway through, maybe 60% through, and thought it was boring. I read Stardust too and gave that two stars. I read a lot of The Sandman comics and thought most of them were overrated. I like the idea of Gaiman more than his actual work. hehe.


message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Evgeny wrote: "You might receive some complaints about insulting a popular (which is not always equal to good) author. I did for giving a low rating to a China Mieville book. Me bad!!! No candies."

Ha! Well . . . I hope it didn't come across as an insult . . . he just really isn't for me while I know some people worship his writing. But, I suppose some people might come after me anyway! ;)


message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨ wrote: "I dnf'd this! I got about halfway through, maybe 60% through, and thought it was boring. I read Stardust too and gave that two stars. I read a lot of The Sandman comics and thought most of them wer..."

I hated The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I feel like I am the only one. It was 190 pages long and felt 100% longer than American Gods!


message 6: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Sorry you didn't like it, Matthew! Hope your next read is better! :)


message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kirstin wrote: "Sorry you didn't like it, Matthew! Hope your next read is better! :)"

Me too! I have had a few duds in a row!


message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Please don't part ways until you read The Graveyard Book....it's his very very best. If you are a parent, I'm implore you to give it a try.


message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Laura wrote: "Please don't part ways until you read The Graveyard Book....it's his very very best. If you are a parent, I'm implore you to give it a try."

Maybe - but it will be tough . . . need to step away from Gaiman for awhile!


message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Perhaps a step away might be best. It might be hard to give it a fair chance.


message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin I'm with you man. I've tried The Graveyard Book, too, among those you mentioned. I tried Stardust. I tried Coraline and actually enjoyed that one. But overall I don't get it. I feel like I'm missing something but I can't force myself to like his writing. Just isn't for me I guess, or you too!


Evelina | AvalinahsBooks I started off with Neverwhere and the others never quite got as close. I still feel Neverwhere was very different (and not slow at all). If you give it one last chance (you too, Justin), try Neverwhere.


未知生焉知死 Anvil Well written review. As I said, I will finish it off, but won't try another book by Gaiman any time soon, in foreseeable future.


message 14: by Caroline (last edited Sep 28, 2016 02:37PM) (new)

Caroline I'm so with ya on this. This was my first Gaiman book, and I find myself dragging my feet in picking up anything else by him. I had very high expectations for AG, but it's everything you said. (view spoiler) What a disappointment. I so wanted to love it and be a part of the Gaiman fan club.

I think three tries is very fair. If you don't like his writing you don't like it. He seems like a true love-him or hate-him writer.


message 15: by Joe (last edited Sep 28, 2016 05:47PM) (new)

Joe Valdez Sharp review, Matthew. I've read Ocean at the End of the Lane and liked it a lot more than you did, but strangely, despite having a couple of Gaiman's novels parked on my reading docket, have had no desire to read them. Including this one. I'm just not as partial to fantasy or faerie tales as some people, I think. The ardor his fan base has for his work has just not infected me yet.


message 16: by Justin (new)

Justin Ok Ok yeah... Neverwhere was alright. Boy, I've given this guy a lot of chances.


message 17: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Nice review Matthew. Gaiman isn't for everyone. Sorry it didn't work out.


message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I'm with you. Not sure I'll pick up another book of his. :-/


message 19: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lauren wrote: "I'm with you. Not sure I'll pick up another book of his. :-/"

Thanks everyone! Seems like Gaiman is an either you like him or you don't sort of thing. I was recently tempted to try another one, but I still think I need to hold off for a bit!


message 20: by Bethann (new)

Bethann Martin But still you gave it 3 stars, which is "Liked It" instead of 2. Several of his other books are much better; Stardust, Neverwhere, and the Graveyard book are much more cohesive and enjoyable.


message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thanks Matthew as always for your honest reviews


message 22: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bethann wrote: "But still you gave it 3 stars, which is "Liked It" instead of 2. Several of his other books are much better; Stardust, Neverwhere, and the Graveyard book are much more cohesive and enjoyable."

This is true - I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I liked it okay. Still, closer to 2.5 for me, though.


message 23: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Sarah wrote: "Thanks Matthew as always for your honest reviews"

Your welcome! I always appreciate your feedback!:-)


message 24: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I felt the same on this one Matthew! Good review.
I've read other books by Gaiman that are targeted more for a younger audience and those seem to work for me.


message 25: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Ginger wrote: "I felt the same on this one Matthew! Good review.
I've read other books by Gaiman that are targeted more for a younger audience and those seem to work for me."


Thanks Ginger! I may be getting close to trying Gaiman again . . . We shall see!


message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy My problem is that as I'm reading his books, despite enjoying some really lovely musings and authorial interjections, I keep envisioning a geeky, awkward high school kid throwing darts at an idea board to generate the plot. It always feels a little bit like there's no pilot driving the plane. I just like a little less chaos and more planning in my novels.


message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Wendy wrote: "My problem is that as I'm reading his books, despite enjoying some really lovely musings and authorial interjections, I keep envisioning a geeky, awkward high school kid throwing darts at an idea b..."

Yes! Such a perfect description - his books are so random and, to me, it feels very uncomfortable the way he pulls them together.


message 28: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce Gaiman, at times, is a tough author to like. He is definitely "out there."


message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Marialyce wrote: "Gaiman, at times, is a tough author to like. He is definitely "out there.""

I think it is his brand of "out there" that doesn't work for me. As I mentioned a few posts up, I may be willing to try it again soon . . . I just am not looking forward to another struggle.


message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica :-) Thanks will heed your warning and skip this one.


message 31: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Simone wrote: ":-) Thanks will heed your warning and skip this one."

No problem - I just hope I am not steering you away from one that wasn't for me but might be perfect for you!


message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Paul wrote: "Matthew, I totally respect your opinion, that's what makes our world so great & diverse, but I LOVED this book!! 5 Stars all the way.
I've read where people loved it and where people hated it. So ..."


Totally true, but one has to make choices in prioritizing the to-be-read pile. I did read your highly enthusiastic review Paul, so I promise you to not write it off completely yet ;-)


message 33: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Read The Library at Mount Char - its like this, but better!


message 34: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Paul wrote: "I've got Library at Mt Char and am really looking forward to it. It's going to be a group read in my group, The Eclectic Club. :)"

It is definitely eclectic!


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net I completely agree with this book. I tried this book years ago, and read to about 70% before I DNFed it because I finally realized that I just couldn't care less about Shadow or anything that was happening in the story. Like you said, I found it slow, and intentionally odd at parts in a way that I think gets mistaken for genius when it's actually a bit try-hard.


Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review, Matthew! I love those pictures. I have been putting off reading this one for a long time because I don't know. I don't feel like I would like it. But I think I own it so I might try it, but I still don't know. Argggg!


message 37: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Great review, Matthew! I love those pictures. I have been putting off reading this one for a long time because I don't know. I don't feel like I would like it. But I think I own it so I might try i..."

Thanks! It's a tough call, and you definitely wont get encouragement from me to read it! ;)


Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Bwhahahaah! :-D

and you're welcome =)


message 39: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Frisch Agree. This is my first and maybe last Gaiman (though I did buy Norse Mythology, which has since gone way down my to-read list). The show is great. I'm not normally a fan of adaptations but it has a quasi-linear story, which the book (at 200+ pages in) struggles to get to. I'm torn. There are some brilliant observations, some incredible prose here but it's under so many layers of "WTF" I can't seem to get to it.


message 40: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Belinda wrote: "Agree. This is my first and maybe last Gaiman (though I did buy Norse Mythology, which has since gone way down my to-read list). The show is great. I'm not normally a fan of adaptations but it has ..."

Yeah - I really want to like it because he is so popular, but I run up against this same wall every time I read Gaiman.


message 41: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Frisch I like weird, normally. I love old religion. Weird old religion I should be in love, and I want to be because I feel like maybe I'd be cooler if I dug this book. Alas, I am uncool. As usual.


message 42: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Belinda wrote: "I like weird, normally. I love old religion. Weird old religion I should be in love, and I want to be because I feel like maybe I'd be cooler if I dug this book. Alas, I am uncool. As usual."

I am definitely uncool - but how I felt about this book is only a small part of that! ;)


message 43: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Agree mostly on Gaiman, Matthew, but you must read Neverwhere. Absolutely wonderful.

Everything else I've read by him is "okay"


message 44: by Matthew (new)

Matthew J.K. wrote: "Agree mostly on Gaiman, Matthew, but you must read Neverwhere. Absolutely wonderful.

Everything else I've read by him is "okay""


Well, I am hearing a lot about Neverwhere, and, since it sounds like you generally feel the same way I do, perhaps I will have a better experience if I give it a go. I will keep it on my radar . . . but I probably wont rush into it as my "rushing into Gaimen" is now more of a "cautiously approach Gaiman with a lot of procrastination"


message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth I like Gaiman, but American Gods was not one of I really cared for. Reading his work I always get a Tim Burton vibe dark, imaginative, and odd. That's what I like about it, but to each his own.


message 46: by Monica (new)

Monica In general I feel the same way you do about Gaiman, he's definitely very hit/miss and American Gods was not a hit for me either. Nor was Stardust. And I did not like Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch . But {{small voice}} I loved The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Anansi Boys. In short, I'm not waiting in anticipation of the next Gaiman novel, but I don't avoid them either.


message 47: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Beth wrote: "I like Gaiman, but American Gods was not one of I really cared for. Reading his work I always get a Tim Burton vibe dark, imaginative, and odd. That's what I like about it, but to each his own."

Yeah - I think it must be his brand of Dark vibe and fantasy just normally don't work for me. But, I definitely seem to be in a minority on that opinion!


message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Monica wrote: "In general I feel the same way you do about Gaiman, he's definitely very hit/miss and American Gods was not a hit for me either. Nor was Stardust. And I did not like [b..."

Interesting . . . my least favorite of his was [book:The Ocean at the End of the Lane|15783514] - seems to be a wide mix of favorites and least favorite of the Gaiman titles.


message 49: by C-shaw (new)

C-shaw Thank you for an honest review. I felt the same way about _The Ocean at the End of the Lane_. Despite his good general story lines, at times, Gaiman just loses himself in his own existential forest, and I do not enjoy traveling that path with him. _American Gods_ is one of the selections for my library book group in the next few months, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.


message 50: by Matthew (new)

Matthew C-shaw wrote: "Thank you for an honest review. I felt the same way about _The Ocean at the End of the Lane_. Despite his good general story lines, at times, Gaiman just loses himself in his own existential forest..."

I wish I could give you more confidence! If it helps - lots of people do like it! :)


« previous 1 3 4
back to top