DeB’s review of The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History > Likes and Comments

33 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bibliovoracious I consider this an extremely important book, despite inevitable sadness of the message :(


message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Your review definitely hits home.


message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice If you have not read it, Diane Ackerman's "The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us", is about some of the same issues, but she finds many things to be optimistic about. I just finished The Sixth Extinction yesterday, and agree that it is alarming, but so important for people to hear this message, if they only will.


message 4: by DeB (new)

DeB MaRtEnS SoManyBooks wrote: "I consider this an extremely important book, despite inevitable sadness of the message :("

Absolutely.


message 5: by DeB (new)

DeB MaRtEnS Diane S ☔ wrote: "Your review definitely hits home."

:-(


message 6: by DeB (new)

DeB MaRtEnS Janice wrote: "If you have not read it, Diane Ackerman's "The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us", is about some of the same issues, but she finds many things to be optimistic about. I just finished The Sixth Exti..."

Yes, Janice. The world can do something if it is proactive, but presently we're a tribal mess of factions warring over scarred landscapes and closed ideology, or trying to coerce those with the biggest guns not to make us extinct even sooner. That is the real downer. I'll check out the book, though.


message 7: by cameron (new)

cameron This is a brilliant and important book. And yes, it's depressing as hell that we will be the only species who destroys our own nest. We will pass into oblivion and I have no doubt the beautiful earth will heal herself.


message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Deb!


message 9: by Jessaka (new)

Jessaka Great review.

I walked into a group that I was once attending and began talking about this book, and this woman said, "You are so negative." I got that a lot from her, and being a very small group, one of which I wasn't that fond of, I decided it best to leave.

I feel from reading this book that it is too late for this earth. I fear that mankind will destroy it beyond repair.


message 10: by DeB (new)

DeB MaRtEnS Jessaka wrote: "Great review.

I walked into a group that I was once attending and began talking about this book, and this woman said, "You are so negative." I got that a lot from her, and being a very small grou..."


The urgency is around us constantly now. The media is telling it like it is... the big problem is that corporations are entrenched in making the most money in the cheapest way, and unless the lights go out they will not dramatically alter their process. This is endemic the world over. You are not negative, you are enlightened.


message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Great review, Deb. I look forward to picking this up the next time I go to the library!


back to top