Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net’s review of Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) > Likes and Comments

165 likes · 
Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Wow so many of you! Hope you guys have fun :)


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net lainey wrote: "Wow so many of you! Hope you guys have fun :)"

I know! I love reading with other people so I'm pretty excited about this large group. ^_^ Thanks lainey :)


message 3: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Interested to hear what you think of this, since I don't know what this book is about. I just put this book on hold at my library and going to start reading it soon.


message 4: by Mischenko (new)

Mischenko Hope you all enjoy it. I really love the cover! ♡


message 5: by jamie (new)

jamie I looove these books! These are insanely good!


message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace Robinson I love this series!


Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Amazing review Bentley I couldn't agree with you more boo! Especially with the characterization I mean DAMN it was so lazy!! Ugh. I haven't read A Song of Ice & Fire to see those specific comparisons with the world map but if it's truly that close of a rip off that's real sad. Anyway lovely job summarizing why this books sucks! Does that mean you won't be joining us for book 2 love?


message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie This is a really good review. It's one that makes me super scared about how I rated things when I was younger, too! :P I remember loving book three, but I just read the latest one released back in December last year, and it was horrible! >.< Again, amazing review and thank you for this super important discussion at the end! <3 xx


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Amazing review Bentley I couldn't agree with you more boo! Especially with the characterization I mean DAMN it was so lazy!! Ugh. I haven't read A Song of Ice & Fire to see those specific compariso..."

Thank you Mary!!

Are we jumping right into book 2? I wasn't sure if I would even be allowed in after my review!

If you guys are indeed going to jump right in, I'm totally in! I think I'll be okay if I have a support system. xD


message 10: by Kaylin (new)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Great review, Bentley! Completely agree, especially about that map. It was a bad sign from the beginning. And Magnus was totes creepy.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Kaylin wrote: "Great review, Bentley! Completely agree, especially about that map. It was a bad sign from the beginning. And Magnus was totes creepy."

Thanks Kaylin! Yup, the map should have been a giveaway that something hokey was going on. Magnus was such a creep. I swear, he better improve in a big way in the next book.


message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Makes me kind of iffy on if I really want to read this or not now.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Chelsea at A Very Bookish Girl wrote: "Makes me kind of iffy on if I really want to read this or not now."

I always say not to let my reviews stop anyone from reading a book, Chelsea! We all have varying tastes. Many people love this series, so you might too! :)


message 14: by cyborgcinderella (new)

cyborgcinderella Omg the part about the hawk made me laugh out loud 😂😂😂 I'd heard some mixed reviews on this book so I'm not surprised you didn't like it.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net @melanie: sorry, I'm on my phone now and just saw your comment! I totally cringe at some of my older reviews so I know what you mean!! I think I'm going to continue the series on with my group, so we'll see how I feel about the next ones. XD


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net @cyborgcinderella: haha I'm glad I gave you a laugh! I heard some mixed reviews but a lot of my friends loved this series so I feel bad rating it so poorly.


message 17: by cyborgcinderella (new)

cyborgcinderella Don't feel bad! Like you said, we all have different tastes in books. My friend and I always seem to be in the camp of people who don't like the really popular YA books ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel weird about it and kind of feel like something is wrong with me sometimes but I guess it's just personal preference.


message 18: by Deepika (last edited Apr 26, 2017 11:19PM) (new)

Deepika Great Review Bentley! I couldn't agree more. There is way too much teenage drama in this book and the world building is so weak. The only thing I liked about it is the cover.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net cyborgcinderella wrote: "Don't feel bad! Like you said, we all have different tastes in books. My friend and I always seem to be in the camp of people who don't like the really popular YA books ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel weird about..."

I totally hear you there. I think the mainstream "popular" YA books are among my least favorite as well. I prefer the hidden gems. ^_^


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Deepika wrote: "Great Review Bentley! I couldn't agree more. There is way too much teenage drama in this book and the world building is so weak. The only thing I liked about it is the cover."

Teenage drama is a perfect way to put it! And I agree, the covers for this series are probably the best part.


Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I'm waiting for Frankie to give the final word but I think we're gonna take a short break between book 1 & book 2! But yay!! I'm so glad you'll stick with us <3

Plus ACOWAR is coming out next week I think some of us are reading that so probably after that book I assume is when we'll start book 2 haha!


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "I'm waiting for Frankie to give the final word but I think we're gonna take a short break between book 1 & book 2! But yay!! I'm so glad you'll stick with us <3

Plus ACOWAR is coming out next wee..."


Good point with ACOWAR coming out we might need the break! Looking forward to chatting about book 2 with you all the same :)


message 23: by Frankie Lovely (new)

Frankie Lovely I am the worst ... like I stopped caring about anything lol. Like when did it become Thursday!? I am so glad you are sticking it out tooo! Yeah we are taking a break (I will be doing nothing but reading ACOWAR next week lol)


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Frankie Westfall wrote: "I am the worst ... like I stopped caring about anything lol. Like when did it become Thursday!? I am so glad you are sticking it out tooo! Yeah we are taking a break (I will be doing nothing but re..."

Haha I totally understand Frankie! Life is crazy! Enjoy ACOWAR and we'll touch base for book 2 later.


message 25: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Frankie&Grace and Sister Act gives?! If we weren't already friends I would totally add you now. xD
I actually enjoyed Magnus as a character ... because I felt like he was the only actual character everyone else felt more like a paper cut out ... and careful what you say about that hawk ...


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Johanna wrote: "Frankie&Grace and Sister Act gives?! If we weren't already friends I would totally add you now. xD
I actually enjoyed Magnus as a character ... because I felt like he was the only actual character ..."


I am totally obsessed with Grace and Frankie right now! It's quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. And Sister Act is heaven. I may or may not know the lyrics to every song in both of those movies. :3

I definitely agree that the rest of the characters felt paper thin in comparison. At least Magnus had something to brood about I suppose.


message 27: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Yup he did. ^^
Lucia was just hardly existent. Clio was ... boring and I have no idea why everyone fell in love with her and Jonas ... I constantly wanted to strangle him because he was so short sighted and naive!!!! ... wait, I guess that's actually a character after all. :P


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Johanna wrote: "Yup he did. ^^
Lucia was just hardly existent. Clio was ... boring and I have no idea why everyone fell in love with her and Jonas ... I constantly wanted to strangle him because he was so short si..."


I mostly wanted to strangle Jonas because I totally didn't believe his switch from wanting to murder Cleo to wanting to protect her. It didn't feel much like development, and more like the author just changed her mind partway through.


message 29: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net wrote: "Johanna wrote: "Yup he did. ^^
Lucia was just hardly existent. Clio was ... boring and I have no idea why everyone fell in love with her and Jonas ... I constantly wanted to strangle him because he..."


Yes, that was weird for me too. :P


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Tweebs☯ wrote: "You had me dying at laughter at the hawk part 😂😂😂 it's okay if y'all didn't like this BUT YOU GUYS BETTER CONTINUE THOUGH!!! I didn't even like this series until the 3rd book."

Oh we're going to continue! We're taking a break for ACOWAR but then we'll be right back into it in a week or two. I hear it gets better as the books go on, so I'm looking forward to the improvement. ;)


message 31: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Campbell yes!! I feel like everyone is trying to copy GoT... I've noticed a lot of books that use multiple perspectives that are completely unnecessary to the storyline and I feel like that's part of the fad as well.


Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Nah you might as well read it in a month or two because I'm pretty sure ACOWAR is gonna put everyone in a reading slump.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Alyssa wrote: "yes!! I feel like everyone is trying to copy GoT... I've noticed a lot of books that use multiple perspectives that are completely unnecessary to the storyline and I feel like that's part of the fa..."

I totally agree! It's the big series at the moment, so everyone and their mother are trying to emulate it in order to cash in. God knows why this particular book hit it big. I think Rhodes was just really quick and managed to get her first draft scooped up by a publisher who knew they could market it as a teenage GoT.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Tweebs☯ wrote: "Nah you might as well read it in a month or two because I'm pretty sure ACOWAR is gonna put everyone in a reading slump."

Probably true!!


message 35: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "yes!! I feel like everyone is trying to copy GoT... I've noticed a lot of books that use multiple perspectives that are completely unnecessary to the storyline and I feel like that's..."

Why? There is amazing epic fantasy out there. How about try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (that one is actually finished). The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Or a bit different but still pretty epic from everyting I hear (haven't read them yet) the Stormlight archives or the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. It's not like there is a lack of fascinating epic fantasy stories out ther people can fall back on. The whole Game of Thrones for YA readers doesn't make sense to me anyway. The whole point of Games of Thrones is the brutalitiy and realism, both things you have to tone down for YA readers.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net I agree Johanna! There is way better (and much more creative) fantasy out there. I think so many people try and emulate GoT with the whole fantasy-realism thing because it became a smash hit and made a bunch of people quite a lot of money. Obviously, other people want to cash in on that, hence why a bunch of networks all started coming out with their own fantasy shows: Vikings, Outlander, The Last Kingdom, etc.

I definitely think that people should check out stories like The Kingkiller Chronicles and the Stormlight Archives. Those are both stellar examples of fantasy done properly.


message 37: by edge of bubble (new)

edge of bubble wow, after seeing that map, even 2 stars is too much for this book.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net edge of bubble wrote: "wow, after seeing that map, even 2 stars is too much for this book."

Seriously, it's so sparse and generic.


message 39: by edge of bubble (new)

edge of bubble it shouldn't be named as "map". more like, writing names on a santa pic a 6 years old drew.


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net edge of bubble wrote: "it shouldn't be named as "map". more like, writing names on a santa pic a 6 years old drew."

Haha so true. And the placement of the lands really gets me too. They're butting up against each other - and all of them are at war/unfriendly with one another. Yet in the book, traveling from realm to realm seems to take 10 minutes and they easily pass between borders.


message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea When I read the summary of this book I was so excited expecting it to be a great new fantasy series (I almost bought the first 4 books) and it was awful from the start. I had to give it a break halfway through the book and then force myself to finish that I couldn't even bother giving it a proper review.


message 42: by Minni Mouse (new)

Minni Mouse Bentley, this review is spot on but you've ruined my reread for me...loll. I disliked this book the first time but now I really hate it because now thanks to this review, I have a tangible reason to hate it.

We need to stop allowing media trends to tell us what to read. This might be the acclaimed YA answer to Game of Thrones, but do we really want to give a poorly written knock off that spot when there are more original and finely crafted stories out there just waiting to be discovered?

Because then I keep reading scenes and realizing, "Omgsh, that's a scene from GoT you just stole, Morgan Rhodes...!!"

*face palm* I hate this book so far. Again. And I kinda blame you. 😂


Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Minni Mouse wrote: "Bentley, this review is spot on but you've ruined my reread for me...loll. I disliked this book the first time but now I really hate it because now thanks to this review, I have a tangible reason t..."

Hahaha Minni! More power to you for attempting a re-read of this! I hope you manage to find some the redeeming qualities in this that I was not able to locate during my own read through. XD


ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω I DNFed this a couple years ago after about 20pgs, but still keep seeing race reviews on here. So I thought I might pick it up to try again, but THANK YOU for this review!! Between yours & Mary's I have trashed that intention of trying again. Your guys' reviews make the book sound more unbearable than I'd already believed it to be lol. Thank you for helping me not waste my time on this 😂


back to top