The Guardian > Quotes > Quotable Quote
“Domestic violence – the warning signs
Common abusive behaviours set out in Power and Control:
• Jealousy and possessiveness.
• Humiliating and insulting you in front of others.
• Sabotaging your relationship with friends and family.
• Sudden changes of mood – charming one minute and abusive the next.
• Monitoring your movements, insisting on time limits when you do things, checking your phone, social networks and spending.
• Controlling what you wear and eat (so subtly, you don’t see it happening).
• Blaming you for the abuse (“I’m not like this with anyone else!” “You make me like this.”)
• Expecting you to have sex when you don’t want to, including when you’re ill or asleep.
• Damaging your treasured possessions.
• Harming or threatening to harm family pets.
• Driving recklessly to frighten you.
• Threatening to kidnap or get custody of the children if you leave.
• Telling you you’re useless and could never cope without him.
• Dominating how you feel – whether that’s happy, afraid or frightened. Having the power to make you constantly change your behaviour to avoid his “displeasure”.”
― The Guardian
All Members Who Liked This Quote
Browse By Tag
- love (68009)
- life (54483)
- inspirational (53187)
- humor (34041)
- philosophy (23674)
- god (17659)
- truth (17517)
- wisdom (15796)
- inspirational-quotes (15680)
- happiness (14353)
- romance (14221)
- hope (13608)
- death (13208)
- quotes (12785)
- poetry (12739)