Goodreads asked Bart Bonner:

Bart Bonner As I see it, there are three main elements to becoming a fiction writer that must be diligently honed: the craft (mechanics) of writing itself, the channeling of inspiration into the written form, and a tireless effort to submit your work to publishers.

Regarding the former, what worked for me was taking creative writing and humanities classes during my time at university, seeking out and reading the best literature the world has to offer, dedicating time to starting and finishing a story, and then relentlessly editing the work until you are 100% convinced that the story can get no better.

With respect to inspiration, see my comments on the question of what is the best thing about being a writer. I would just add that sometimes ideas arrive spontaneously; other times you must roll up your sleeves, put on your headlamp, grab your pickax, and hammer the mine walls in search of that elusive vein. In all cases, a stout cup of Columbian Supremo coffee should get you kickstarted. :-)

Lastly, getting published requires patience, confidence, determination, and a lot of research to match your work to the styles of the prospective publisher. Always deal with editors professionally and with the utmost courtesy and respect: if an editor finds your work interesting and you as a writer easy to work with, and that you as an author are open to suggestions/edits, then you are well on your way to getting published.