Lydia Swartz
Lydia Swartz asked:

I do not wish to be rude, but ya know, so many books so little time. So my question (at 10 pages in): Does it ever get less twee?

To answer questions about John Dies at the End, please sign up.
Jordan Wk I'm not trying to be rude to you either, but it seems like you managed to pick the single adjective that in absolutely no way describes this book. Hm. It's a lot of things and the things it is, it is extremely.

Meandering? Yes
Self-aware? Self-indulgent
Sophomoric? Definitely
Convoluted? Surely

But in spite of all of that, I really enjoyed it and think you should give it a chance. You will also probably enjoy the sequel more if your complaint is about the narrative flow. The sequel is far more cohesive, sober and focuses on a single story in the universe rather than following two deadbeats for over a year.
Katherine No, it stays pretty much the same throughout.
Shelli I'm with everybody else. Unless I'm not remembering that it actually has an uncharacteristic first 10 pages, JDATE is in no way "twee".
Alyssa After finding the definition of 'twee' to mean "dainty, or quaint", I honestly cannot imagine this book being described as either...but then, I've read it twice, and when I'm talking about it, I'm thinking about just about everything after the beginning.
Robert Furness Less twee? You'll have to explain that too me. The first chapter, I think, is a somewhat independent story from the rest of the book. The whole thing is a series of short stories that author David Wong came up with so it being disjointed is to be expected, his follow up "This Book is Full of Spiders" is a much more sequential narration.
Image for John Dies at the End
by David Wong (Goodreads Author)