Katherine
Katherine asked Jane Nickerson:

One more question (well, actually two, if you don't mind my asking). The first question is what retelling will the third book be about? Some friends of mine and I are quite curious. And second, what draws you to retell lesser known fairy tales and stories (like Bluebeard and Tam Lin). It's quite refreshing than the typical Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast retellings, etc. Thanks!!! :)

Jane Nickerson Actually the third book in the "strands world" is not a retelling. It was supposed to be a retelling (and I can't tell you which story yet because I still plan to write it someday, and I like to surprise), but the characters were clamoring for another outlet and I obliged them. The third book takes place after the civil war, when the Abbey has been turned into a girl's school. It is something of a ghost story, and you might be able to guess who would be haunting the place.

I have always loved fairy tales of all kinds, but as you point out I am more drawn to some of the lesser known ones. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is the "road less traveled" feeling or perhaps I have non-standard appreciation. I admit that it is a little bit weird that I was fascinated by the Bluebeard tale since I was very young. I read it in a big book my mother had. I think it was the first thing I ever read that really freaked me out.