Paulette
Paulette asked:

I've never read a book by Bryce Courtenay. Which one would be the best to start with. He sounds like my type of author!

To answer questions about The Persimmon Tree, please sign up.
Betty I honestly feel The Power of One was the best book I've ever read. Actually, I listened to on audible .. but still the most fulfilling book. I looked forward to it each time I returned more than with any book.
Jane The Power of One. This book has stayed with me for years and years.
Blaine DeSantis Definitely it has to be The Power of One. So many ladies in the book club I lead feel that it is the best book we have read in over 7 years of monthly meetings! Just a fine book, and a much simpler and faster read than The Persimmon Tree.
LupeyLady Absolutely, the Power of One. (So many parallels to Courtenay's own life story, probably his most personal book I believe. May he R.I.P)
Paulette Parke The Power of One. I have read nearly all his books
Brenda Noah Read The Persimmon Tree and was enthralled by the story! It's original and gives you a view of life in the former Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia) during the Japanese occupation. If you like historical fiction, adventure, and reading about different cultures, then this book is for you. Needless to say, there is a love story dislocated by World War II. The characters are not only beautiful but engaging. I was sad to finish the book.
Anne I love his books, and I am still reading them. Make sure you read his trilogy, starting with The Potato Factory. His characters are wonderful. I just finished Brother Fish, which also was wonderful.
Cynthia I would start with The Power of One followed by Tandia. Bryce Courtenay has a tendency to make you fall in love with his characters,
so if you have already started with another you will still enjoy it.
Image for The Persimmon Tree