Which of the books so far is the strongest?

To answer questions about The Passage of Power, please sign up.
Tim I would pick Master of the Senate as the strongest and it is the one I would read again if I had to pick one. It is the one with the most action, the one that leaves the reader most enriched. Each book, besides telling LBJ's life story, had very intense focus on a specific LBJ subject.

First Book = Johnson's personality development
Second Book = Senate campaign against Coke Stephenson
Third Book = History of the Senate.
fourth book = Aftermath of JFK assassination

I felt the Senate years, nothing could top that.
David For a casual reader like me, probably this one. Though it doesn't seem to have as many new revelations as previous volumes (this ground has been explored by many more researchers than LBJ's early years), this volume shows LBJ moving onto the great stage of history, and includes some of his finest moments, particularly the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Caro can make even the driest material read like a thriller (as he did with US Senate procedures in Vol. III), but he's masterful with already dramatic material like the JFK assassination and the LBJ/RFK feud.
Porter Broyles Ok, we have to round this discussion out... we've had votes for the first, third, and fourth books.

I personally liked the second book the best. The one that tells the story about how LBJ went from being a poor person to one of the richest senators and essentially stole the 1948 senatorial election.

Master of the Senate is #2, but I'm working on 4 right now.
Christopher Saunders I actually liked the first volume best, mostly because of how immersive and novelistic it is in its depiction of the Texas Hill Country. The other books are, obviously, much heavier on politics and personality (especially Master of the Senate) but I don't think any of them quite matches up to the epic scope of Path to Power.
Mike Of all of the volumes, Master of the Senate was absolutely the most fascinating.
Image for The Passage of Power