Lori
Lori asked:

I have a copy of this book.Have not read it yet. I know it will be difficult to read some of the chapters. reading about what the people and animals went through. I am sure a lot of it will be upsetting.

Vicki I have always wanted to learn more about how people lived when settling this country. These people were among those whose families settled the West, moving into strange country The Introduction sets the tone for the atmosphere - physical and emotional - of what they faced. To have been the author and had the opportunity to speak with survivors of those times is fortunate. Yes, this is one of many times in the history of our country at least where people had hope for the future and took risks to explore the outcome. There will always be hard times for people, animals, plants and our planet. Hopefully, someone can continue to capture those stories from the ones who lived them. The Dust Bowl led to changes raising awareness of the fragility of our soil and establishing the Soil Conservation Service. Farmers continue to use science-based practices to conserve soil and water. Researchers across the globe explore alternatives to mass produce our food. I just finished the Introduction and look forward to hearing the story from the brave people who survived this part of America's history. How rich.
Image for The Worst Hard Time
by Timothy Egan (Goodreads Author)