Emily Danielle

To answer questions about Norwegian Wood, please sign up.
Richp Toru survived without Midori's damage dominating his life; that is the only reason for the weird beginning which otherwise does not fit into the book. Most readers got her desire to control their dates, but from comments I doubt most realize she was presented as a really hard player at psychological manipulation, not as accomplished as the 13 year old the screwed up Reiko, but getting there.

I thought the ending was near perfect, and Murakami set up the one character that was the same age in the story then, as he was in when it was published, as the closest thing to a heroine in the story, because perhaps she really saved him prior to their meeting in Tokyo, and perhaps by chance vice versa too, and their coupling was not fundamental to the story but the icing on the cake.
Tammi I agree with the ending, especially because the book began with his older self suddenly being reminded by this time in his life. Throughout the book I was anticipating it to go back to that moment to conclude or understand his thoughts after the time had past but it never did.
Image for Norwegian Wood