Megan Theresa
Megan Theresa asked:

I'm usually not a fan of Manga, but this book comes highly recommended by one of my students. Is this book a good introduction to the Manga genre?

To answer questions about Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto, please sign up.
Meredithe Pretty. It's quite popular amongst children, youths and even adults, and while it may seem childish to some, it's actually pretty inspiring. Things get deeper, more developed as the story unfolds - there's some pretty good philosophy in it, and there's action too. There are things to learn from it as well, and it gets pretty emotional and distressing in some parts when they enforce that reality still applies - people DO die, war is real, and peace comes at great prices. But it's not entirely sad and dreary of course, there's hope, comedic moments, happy moments etc. Basically, the story and world is pretty developed.

Also, consider this. If it's been going on for years, with over 600+ episodes of anime, 11 movies a ton of it on the internet and around the world, and a continuation, it's definitely got to be worth something. At the end though, personal taste does still factor in. But I'd say go for it - there's no harm in trying, is what I thought, when I first decided to try it and see what all the excitement was about. I started with Shippuden though - that's when all the characters are more or less adults and the plot intensifies.
Image for Naruto, Vol. 01