Suzanne
Suzanne asked:

Can this book stand alone if one hasn't read the first two in the series? I know... given what I've read about the other two books, why NOT read them? Well, my son thinks being an outlaw sounds a lot cooler than saving a kingdom or even storming a castle, so he wants to just read this one. I'm trying to figure out how hard I should try to convince him otherwise.

Carrie While I feel like the references are important to fully understanding the story, I am also a big fan of kids reading whatever interests them the most. (Better than discouraging a child from reading what they're excited about.) I've started in the middle of series before and my life hasn't been any worse of for it. Authors also tend to keep this in mind and briefly re-introduce important characters or plot points.

I say let him read the one he's interested in, and if he gets confused or curious, then encourage him to go back to the others.
Cale Currie I don't think this would be a good first book, since there are some references to the other books and you need to know the characters first to really understand it. I would read the other two, which are very good as well.
Image for The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw
by Christopher Healy (Goodreads Author)