Frederick Beserve

My daughter (who is half Black and half Chinese) and I are looking for our next book. I read the description and the reviews, despite the time period this book sounds perfect. I know the description reads "middle-grade" novel but I am hoping to get a little more perspective from the people that have read the book. What is the appropriate age, temperament, and maturity rather than a grade? Thanks in advance.

To answer questions about Full Cicada Moon, please sign up.
Belle I am in 6th grade and we just read this book in our English class and it was great. There are plenty of things to think about and learn from and it would be perfect!
Katelyn R Gates Hi Frederick!
I am a sixth grade English/Language Arts teacher and I recommend this book to my students all the time. I feel that this book could be read by anyone with an understanding of the historical period. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I didn't find that there were many "mature" themes that came up in the book. I think it is billed as a middle level book simply because that is the age of the main character. I think it probably sounds like a book that both you and your daughter would find insightful and touching. I thought it had a lot of heart.
Kathy I'm a 6th grade teacher and I didn't find anything inappropriate that I could not read or share with my students. In fact, it's insightful and thought provoking. I think your daughter will relate to the character and learn from her courage.
Image for Full Cicada Moon