Virginia
Virginia asked:

Wonderful book, amazing photographs, and a very confusing timeline to the disappearance and subsequent search for the boys. Great writer but lots of jumping around in time which really confused me. The boys were born in 1890 and 1893 respectively, and taken in 1899. However, further along I understood a comment that said Christmas 1914 was the first Christmas they spent away from their mother. Did I misread that?

Anne The author stated, "But though modern-day relatives had always believed George and Willie were kidnapped around 1899 from Truevine, some of the facts I uncovered were casting doubts on the timeline that had been handed down through generations." An example would be that George and Willie were living with their mom during the 1910 Census.
Bec yeah, i also found that confusing.
Tom Landon The dates were hard to pin down on their birthdays due to poor census taking for African American sharecroppers. The boys were taken in 1914, and did not see their mother again until 1927, says the author!
Image for Truevine
by Beth Macy (Goodreads Author)