Alex
Alex asked:

Is the short story The Viscount and the Witch worked in to this book, or is it meant to be complementary? I've got it sitting on my shelf and it seems like I might have just read it.

To answer questions about The Rose and the Thorn, please sign up.
Michael Jacob and Catherine are correct. Here's the background on that. Back in August of 2011 the "individual" versions of the books were removed from the market to make room for the "omnibus editions." As I wasn't used to having "nothing available" for readers I wrote a little short called The Viscount and the Witch and made it available for free.

It's essentially the tale of how Royce and Hadrian met Albert Winslow and it was set at about a year after Royce and Hadrian started working together.

I never planned to write any more Riyria books after Heir of Novron, but my wife and many readers still wanted to have some adventures with the pair. Because Revelations was designed to end where it did, I didn't want to "tack" on to a well choreographed ending. So, I remembered the short story...which in many ways was like the first chapter of a novel. I decided to expand that and so The Rose and Thorn came into being. Because Albert is a major character in the book, and I couldn't guarantee that readers had picked up The Viscount and the Witch, I put the short story as chapter two of that book.

Interestingly, as I neared the completion of The Rose and Thorn I realized I hadn't gone back far enough so I wrote The Crown Tower -- which shows how the pair first met. Once that was done I published the pair.

UPDATE: For standalone short stories there is The Jester (available in ebook and audio) and Professional Integrity (available in audio...and coming to ebook in September).
Jacob Marttinen The Viscount and the Witch is a single chapter from this book, word for word.
Catherine I think it is Chapter 2 of this book. It is the same, exactly. For an independent short story about Royce and Hadrian, try The Jester.
Image for The Rose and the Thorn
by Michael J. Sullivan (Goodreads Author)