Jennifer
Jennifer asked:

Is Mr. Wilde gay in this book? (I would hate for that aspect to be ignore/amended).

Laura I would say the book's coyness about this question is one of its main weaknesses. The book skirts on the margins of one of the major historical male-brothel scandals of the era and it's made clear that Wilde is quite familiar with the company of rent boys, but a veneer of plausible deniability is constantly maintained. I'm sure that this delicacy on the subject is historically appropriate, but it also gets in the way of a real connection with the character.
Geordie No. He denies being homosexual (or bisexual) repeatedly. It's definitely the most aggravating (maybe even confusing) aspect of the book.
Image for Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance