Lisa
Lisa asked:

Is the book supposed to be written without "-usage? It feels awkward. Or do only certain editions of the book have the conversations without "-usage?

To answer questions about There but for the, please sign up.
Mark I'd bet that Ali Smith wants you to feel awkward. There are times when I've re-read a passage, placing the quotes back in the text for clarity. She wants us to be unsure: sometimes a tree is history, and we don't know it until we learn more. (And if you get to the last chapter, you'll know what I'm referring to.)
Jono Mcdermott It's supposed to be written without. It's supposed to blur the lines between what is said and thought, and by whom, so you concentrate more on what is actually being said. I personally find it easier to follow this way; personal preference I guess:)
Image for There but for the