Rennie
Rennie asked:

What evidence is there that giving more will result in fewer poor people?

Emily The book addresses that question (check out chapter 7, "Improving Aid.") Between 1993 and 2013, the proportion of the world's population living in extreme poverty decreased from 34% to 11%. We are making progress. But this book is not necessarily about decreasing the number of poor people; it is about saving the lives and decreasing the suffering of the poor people who already exist. Conveniently, lifting people out of poverty also results in them having fewer children, because they can be more confident their children will survive.
Amin I am late to this conversation but for those who come here and see this, the book discusses exactly the point that Rennie mentions in her comment. It is great that we are supporting various charities, the book acknowledges that and discusses what would be a good frame of mind on picking the best charities in terms of how impactful they are.
Rennie, if you have read the book, I would be very interested to know what your experience was.
Rennie I will look for the write-up on that but having been donating to charity for over 30 years, I despair of the pleas for help ever diminishing. Lately, in addition to local United Way, Red Cross and MSF, I have begun to look for charities focusing on family planning and education for girls as those two drivers may lead to meaningful progress.
Image for The Life You Can Save
by Peter Singer (Goodreads Author)