Jennifer
Jennifer asked:

I found this in my local library but it seems like it's part of a series and our boroughs dont have the first title. Do you need to have read it to understand or enjoy this book?

To answer questions about A Closed and Common Orbit, please sign up.
Tiina I'm reading this one first and I love it like this! With no explanations, it feels like someone just sent me there, and I am wandering the streets, really being a part of the story, learning by seeing and not because someone explains it to me. It makes the world more miraculous for me. I'm planning on re-reading the book, though, when I have read the first part. I am sure there are more layers waiting to be understood.
poiboy no actually you do kinda. it makes no sense about the aliens and worlds if you didnt read the first.
Sissix I'll just post the authors answer to this question.

"You don’t have to, but that’s the way I hope you’ll read them. I wrote Closed and Common with the assumption that the reader’s already read The Long Way. Will you be able to follow the story? Yes. But you’re going to lack the greater context of who these people are, how they got to this point, and some of the supporting details about the setting (read as: I don’t explain species, tech, or politics twice)."
Image for A Closed and Common Orbit