Mark
Mark asked E.J. Nottingwood:

Do you find that there is more complexity to writing about homosexual relationships because of the societal taboo on them? There are certainly groups on both sides of this debate, much like the civil rights movement half a century ago. How do you juxtapose characters who are judgmental against characters who are accepting?

E.J. Nottingwood Yes, there is more complexity, both internally and externally of the relationships. However, I enjoy that complexity, which is probably why I enjoy writing those types of relationships.

As for the characters who are judgmental, I certainly put their sides of the debate in my writing, to perhaps explain why they feel the way they do. Most of the time, it's a religious thing for them, if not the fact that their parents taught them that homosexual relationships were "wrong", as both situations commonly occur in real life.

However, I personally despise close-minded mindsets (if that makes any sense) and therefore tend to make characters that are judgmental antagonists, or like archetypes. As I said earlier though, I like to put their "side of the story" in there as well, though, so as not to make them seem like emperors/empresses of evil - they are people after all, and don't deserve to be dehumanized just for their differing beliefs.