Goodreads asked Stacie Evans:

Stacie Evans Crying Bloody Murder was originally inspired by my own experiences with therapy and with family who don't necessarily know how to cope with complicated issues and mental health problems. It was my way to express my frustration at a system I felt was failing me. But, years later, I returned to the story and decided to rewrite it. By that time, I was studying Psychology in university myself and I also received advice from a psychologist friend, leading me to portray the therapist in the book, Dr Davies, in a different light. I decided to write him, not how my own therapist was, but as what I felt a therapist should be. Emi's mother was also made to be more sympathetic and compassionate, even if she did still struggle to understand.

The entire tone of Crying Bloody Murder therefore changed, and is now less similar to my own experiences. It now represents more of an ideal. Well, Emi's situation is pretty far from "ideal" in general, but it is the best possible response to the worst possible situation.

It's basically a fusion of my own experiences and my love for traditional horror/ ghost stories, blending the two together to create something confusing yet fascinating and altogether very strange.