Goodreads asked Sharman Burson Ramsey:

Sharman Burson Ramsey The Mint Julep Mysteries were inspired by my grandparents' plantation house, an 1832 Steamboat Gothic home, that is now owned by my sister and her husband. The books began as a short story I did as a program for my garden club. We were asked to make suggestions for upcoming programs. One long time divorced member said, "I want to know how to meet a man while gardening!" The anesthesiologist for the main character's colonoscopy with the Johnny Cash voice, Mel Gibson eyes and Richard Gere buns came into being.

Then one day as I was sitting at the stop light where I have probably stopped at least once every day of my life, I recalled the day my husband and I nearly got run into by a mail delivery truck. I thought, what would I do if my husband died? Immediately, the thought popped into my head, well, if my sister was also alone, we'd live together!

Then the plantation house became a major character in my imagination. Since I am a genealogist, Master gardener, chef wannabe and Soul Singer (in the shower) all of those elements appeared in the novels. They begin with the search for a potential killer for the long lost, newly found cousin who makes his way to the plantation house. I hope folks will read all three books because each builds upon the other. Book 3 will surprise you, I think.