Goodreads asked Medini Summers:

Medini Summers Hi. Medini Summers here. My books are available cheap on Amazon Kindle Books.
Question: Probably, I am still an aspiring writer, myself. I aspire to excellence in my work. Even if I have been writing for twenty years, I still have more to learn about the craft of authorship and about the subject of human nature. In spite of authors denying the fact that they know much about anything, some knowledge does adhere from the intensive research that goes in to each novel project. Even at university, a subject is never so thouroughly mulled over as the preparation for a new book.
So, newbies must aspire to be fully versed in their background and in their subject. The work is enjoyable. Delving into your specialist interest is nourishing and fun.
As for publication? Most people, these days know how difficult - impossible that is. But we are in an era where the ebook is about to triumph and self-publishing is becoming acceptable as it never was before. This is surely cheerful news.
Since an author has to do their own promotion, wether you have a mainline publisher or no, it seems to me to be insane to give away your profit to a house that does little except print your book, which you can also do yourself.
Be happy, our time is near.