Amalie Jahn
Amalie Jahn asked Normandie Alleman:

What made you want to write about pirates?

Normandie Alleman Hi Amalie! Great question. I think pirates were the original bad boys. There's something sexy, mysterious, and a bit forbidden about pirates. They live outside the law, work hard, and play hard. When I saw a call for pirate stories I jumped on it. The only thing was the submission call was for a short story and within three days I'd loosely plotted out six 30-40K word stories. The Pirates of the Jolie Rouge Trilogy was born, as well as a follow-up trilogy planned for 2015.

I was drawn to the idea that a pirate usually leaves his family behind, if he has any. The life of a pirate is a combination of camaraderie from the crew, and solitude. It can grow quite boring being at sea for long stretches of time, and it takes a tough-minded person to sign on for that sort of life. I knew throwing a woman into the mix would be fun and cause all sorts of trouble - so I did it.