Goodreads asked Alistair A. Vogan:

Alistair A. Vogan I have never had writers block. I've heard about it, but it's never been a part of my writing process.

I think an understanding of story structure has made all the difference. Also, before I write and spend days, sometimes weeks, organizing and researching. I decide what the central question is and I investigate ways I can explore that throughout each act. When I sit down to write I know exactly what must occur in each scene and key dialogue has already been explored. This allows me to completely lose myself in the process of writing, and then the characters come to life and make decisions I wasn't expecting. It's like I'm watching a movie. It's exhilarating. I can write for seven hours stretches, but it feels like 20 minutes have passed.