Margot Stiassni-Sieracki

Is there a lot of violence in the book that would be inappropriate for a pre-teen to read?

To answer questions about The Boy on the Wooden Box, please sign up.
AMY It is a heavy book for kids to read. I think if it was a very mature youngster who could talk it over with an adult they might get through it ok. I would say it can get pretty rough and I had trouble as an adult getting my head around all of the different scenes sometimes - so painful to hear. It will definitely haunt you...
Lynn Edler I teach middle school, and I think it is completely appropriate for a middle schooler who is interested in The Holocaust and events surrounding it. I find that students who are not ready for these books will abandon them and return to them when ready.
Lauri No. It is a simple story of some of the terrible things this young boy saw happen in his family. He discusses his fears more. No blood. There a few very sad frightful moments, but all of them give few details.

I agree that it would be better for a middle schooler to read it with a parent, but it really depends on the kid. The Holocost was a terrible thing and there really is no way to leave out the bad stuff. I appreciated that the author did spare us the details of his experiences. Just a few details to help the reader see and feel the gravity of the event.
Elaine Sloan
Image for The Boy on the Wooden Box