How good a read is this?

To answer questions about A Tale of Two Cities, please sign up.
Zaphirenia Very highly recommended. Even though I read it as a child, I remember very clearly the impact that left on me. Dickens is one of the greatest writers of all time and this is certainly a great book.
Mahaluck Ganesh Yes... I too initially read and left it within the first 30 pages of it... but this time I picked it up and read and reread the initial pages to know what is going on and then I got the hang of Charles Dicken's language which is far superior to any of the modern writers and requires rapt attention while reading...
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall It's utterly bamboozling in the initial couple of pages, as the writing style is highly antiquated. . . not to mention Dickens always is a bit obfuscating, but is marvelous. The command of drama and the language is chilling. Overall, I'd definitely recommend it!!
Braden Chase Surprisingly, one of the best books I've read in many years. I am familiar with British English, French geography, and the related historical timeframe and therefore, did not have any trouble understanding nor need of a dictionary.

Dickens' quality of English is so far beyond most modern writers that it's difficult to compare him to any of them.

Highly recommended!

You can get it in audio on Librivox.org by Paul Adams. Free and a great voice actor.
Chu-Salyer Sharon Very good book;
Hubcon A tough book to get through. Actually my first CD book, and it has put me of reading more of his work. I prefer more modern work. Read on an ebook, which was so helpful in looking up loads of old English words. It took a long time to read as it felt boring. Second half is better.
Rae It's wonderful! The first chapters are a bit confusing and difficult but it is worth it!!!!!!!
Marianne The prose is difficult, but it is worth it, as the story is beautifully crafted by a master.
Triada I do have to admit I am with Zaphirenia it is a very good book to help you some what understand the french revolution
Kubilay Cirrik This is among the top books Dickens wrote along with David Copperfield and Great Expectations for me..
Alexis M. For some reason, I didn't get to this book until my senior year. The first time, I skimmed it. Then, on one long family trip, I actually read the book and fell in love. You have to look at the storyline as a whole. Some of the openings of the chapters gives you the sense of political unrest. Then, examine what is happening in each chapter.

Totally unrelated but every time I read the part about the wine barrel spilling in the streets. . .the Spanish News Channel part from THE ANCHORMAN rumble comes to mind. LOL

Image for A Tale of Two Cities