Zhangran
Zhangran asked:

200 pages into the book, and the characters still feel remote. Is the book any good at all?

To answer questions about Water for Elephants, please sign up.
Tracy Valentine Currently reading it, and I have to say no. The animal abuse is horrific and utterly disgusting. Yet Sara Gruen seems to LOVE it, because she lingers on those scenes for pages at a time. Struggling through this book full of horrible abuse and one-dimensional cardboard cutout characters has made me dislike her not only as a writer, but as a person.
Juonithz I liked the book but mainly for its premise and potential. I didn't really feel the love between the characters because they were so two dimensional.
Kristin Tonay I agree with Zhangran--I also think they remain flat after having finished the book.
Kate stick with it! I felt the same at the beginning but loved it in the end.
Rosanna This is exactly what is wrong! I couldn't put my finger on it, but the characters are remote in a big way.
Image for Water for Elephants
by Sara Gruen (Goodreads Author)