Goodreads asked Stephen Weinstock:

Stephen Weinstock I thought I'd like reading a book about a group of people remembering bits of their past lives, and then piecing together a giant puzzle of their karmic history. Each past life story one of them told could be a different type -- sci fi, fantasy, romance, history etc. At the time I worked as a composer for theater and dance, so my life was full and I never thought of writing it.

On a Tuesday during my mid-life crisis, driving down to Princeton to play a modern dance class, I had an epiphany about the model for the book: The Thousand and One Nights, where every new tale Scheherazade tells the King is different: romance, history, dirty joke etc. My book could be a series that contains 1001 chapters, each with a past life story. Book One, The Qaraq, starts with the group coming together, and questioning whether their past life memories are the real thing.