Robb Gardner
Robb Gardner asked Valerie Martin:

Dear Valerie, I just finished reading 'Mary Reilly' and I really enjoyed it. I still haven't seen the Stephen Frears directed film adapted from your book. Do you feel the film was adapted well? Keep up the great work. Sincerely, Robb Gardner

Valerie Martin Hello Robb Gardner, Sorry to be slow in answering, but I had trouble with this site. I'm pleased that you enjoyed Mary Reilly. About the film, I have mixed feelings. I like the first half - then, in my view, the film and my book part company pretty radically. I didn't have much to do with the adaptation, so I don't feel responsible or betrayed in any way. Film is a very immediate medium and the requirements are entirely different. Frears is a great director. That said, I don't think this was his best film. Thanks for your interest. Best, Valerie Martin