Have any of you visited Scotland? Did you like it? What did you visit?

To answer questions about The Cracked Spine, please sign up.
Valerie Campbell Ackroyd Yes, I have been five times (I think). I have been to Edinburgh and Glasgow as well as the places that my "people" came from--Dundee, Dingwall up in Ross & Cromarty, Cupar in Fife, Alyth in Perth. Actually, I recently learned that in the early 1800s some of my people lived in Glasgow so there we are.
We also rented a cottage in Aberfeldy for a week several years ago and toured many of the castles around there, Scone, Blair, Glamis, Stirling.... Then we toured the Border Abbeys. Oh, and I also did a walking holiday up in Mallaig and one of the islands of the small Hebrides, Eigg.
Living at the cottage in Aberfeldy and visiting the castles during the day was fantastic. Scone is amazing as is Glamis. We went to a play in Pitlochry that was one of the best "smallish" productions I had ever seen. Walking the cemeteries where my ancestors are buried was indescribable.
I highly recommend a walking holiday in Scotland as well. The weather is usually wet but there is nothing as soul restoring as tramping along a loch and later drying out in front of a fire. The Scots are lovely people--they don't overwhelm you and they are very direct but when we were stranded in Scotland during 9-11 they couldn't have been kinder. A complete stranger put us up for two nights and took us around Edinburgh to get our minds off the terrible events a bit. She took us to a special service in St. Giles Cathedral where different community leaders--and a U.S. embassy official--spoke. And the car rental place in Glasgow didn't charge us for the extra days' rental that we needed because of the tragedy.
All in all, I feel totally at home in Scotland even when I have to listen hard to understand some accents. They DO differ depending on which area of Scotland your are in. The Edinburgh accent is much easier to understand than the Glaswegian!!
Kelly Shand Yes, have been 3 times. Been to Edinburgh and Glasgow and lived in St Andrews for over a year. Scotland is amazing. I, in fact, am quite familiar with the Grassmarket as my favorite gelato shop is there and I used to volunteer at the National Museums Scotland. Which is right around the corner. I've toured Holyrood, walked up Arthur's Seat, seen Sterling Castle, walked the Old Course in St Andrews from the first hole to the Eden River. I've seen the inside of the Royal and Ancient clubhouse and walked on West Sands where they filmed Chariots of Fire. I visited the Turner watercolors at the National Gallery in Edinburgh and partied on Hogmanay(New Year's Eve to you non Scots) I've eaten fish and chips on the grounds of the St Andrews cathedral and seen where J.K. Rowling got inspiration for the Harry Potter names in the kirkyard of Greyfriars. I've petted the statue of Greyfriars Bobby once a week for months and been to the first Carnegie library.
Image for The Cracked Spine
by Paige Shelton (Goodreads Author)