Heidi The Reader
Heidi The Reader asked Joshua C. Geiger:

Where do you find the inspiration for your novels and poetry? Dreams, real life, imaginative flights of fancy... ? Inquiring minds want to know!

Joshua C. Geiger Thank you for the question! It differs a little from medium to medium, but most prevalent is definitely music (Spaceman was written following infinite imaginary escapades listening to "Spaceman" by the Killers, and my most recent fantasy novel owes a whole lot to Bastille's album Bad Blood.)

With poetry it's more about little things like a particular feeling I want to express, or a line that starts in my head that I just need to fill out with some other thoughts. That has a lot to do with real life, but my glitch stuff are mostly meditations on science concepts, from AI to quantum mechanics (which I think is rife with poetic implications).

More generally, my desire to write comes from how energized I feel and how deeply I connect with media in general, from movies to music to novels and television. Those deep feelings of greater implications and that heartache for stories that make me want to keep living in that world are why I write. Creating that rush is almost as fun as feeling it!